Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 New to Forum: Need Help w/Stray Dogs! >

New to Forum: Need Help w/Stray Dogs!

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

New to Forum: Need Help w/Stray Dogs!

Old 06-14-2006, 06:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: New to Forum: Need Help w/Stray Dogs!

Dogs and cats share equal footing when they become nuisance animals , and all states have pet containment laws .
Old 06-14-2006, 11:27 AM

Just go buy some rubber shells for the old shotgun that you havent seen is a couple of years and put a rubber ball into the dogs if they come back...break out the saboth slugs, and yea, call animal control and see what they do

Old 06-14-2006, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe a Red Rider BB gun or paint ball gun would sting them enough to keep them away.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:54 PM

no red rider...those things are old rusty peices of crap(fun to shoot though)...a frozen paintball should do the trick
Old 06-14-2006, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just to sting them to keep them away.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:39 PM

Ya poisoning isnt the answer, if you do end up having to take manners into your own hands use a gun. that way the dog doesnt suffer.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:47 PM

I was thinking maybe a paintball gun would do the trick also.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:42 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah don't go the poison route. It is nondiscriminatory, anything that a dog would eat, other critters will consume as well, and even if they are pain in the ***--antifreeze is a horrible way to die. Be discrete, know your laws, and if you plan to circumnavigate any of those laws be willing to accept the consequences if you get nailed. Family safety comes first. I'd set traps, on your own property only, and deal with them when trapped. If you can discretely shoot them (trapped or otherwise) it is effective. Get on the trapping forums and read up on the archives on how to go about it. See:http://coyotesrus.proboards35.com/index.cgi?, http://www.trapperman.com, for a start. I've generally made it a point to release a dog on my property from a trap once. If it shows up a second time it is history. If they are in my yard, lead poisoning is a guarantee. No second chances. I live in an area where this is both legal and accepted. You let your dog run in this country and it is a matter of when it is shot, not if.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Banned

Guns, poisons ,and traps.
HCH[/align]
Old 07-05-2006, 11:11 PM

Being single witho no kids, I used to like the strays when I lived out in the country. They were friends with my dog, so OK by me. When one started trouble, I'd run him off with a BB gun, and if I didn't like him, my dog (German Shepherd) would "guard me" and keep that poor bastard away! Anyway, I don't like the idea of hunting dogs, they do train, and a BB or pellet gun will "train" them away from you, usually. Your family is more important than the dogs are, so if you have to... you gotta do what you gotta do.
Just remember, you and God are going to discuss how well you performed your job as one of Earth's caretakers one day...

Quick Reply: New to Forum: Need Help w/Stray Dogs!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.