Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Squirrel hunting with a bow

Old 05-26-2006, 02:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default Squirrel hunting with a bow

I have decided to try to hunt squirrels with my bow. How do you guys hunt squirrels, do you hunt from a treestand, bait them, or stalk them. And what type of broadheads do you use? Thanks Alot!

Mike
Old 05-26-2006, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Squirrel hunting with a bow

I carry five arrows when deer hunting, 4 boadheads for deer and a blunt tipped arrow for squirrels, rabbits, etc. It gives me very good practice to and from my deer stand and occasionaly, if I really dont think a deer is likely to show up, from the stand itself. Put it in the front half of their body and they are dead like that, but I am shooting 75 ft/lbs of KE. I shot a squirrel with a broadhead once to see what would happen, cut his lungs into perfect thirds and he ran 20 feet! But like I said that is just one incident I dont know what usually happens. I average about 10 squrrels a season like that but I have never actually gone hunting exclusively for them bow in hand. Then again, some of my deer stands might make better squirrel stands...
Old 05-30-2006, 09:00 PM
Banned

I use judo heads but blunts would work fine too. Still hunt them and shoot them on the ground.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:20 PM

You will lose alot of tips if you use somthing sharp . Anything that can inbed in a tree - will . I stuck a G5 small game head about 2 1/2" into a pine . Thats plenty deep to never get it back . Broad-heads will have worse problems . I would suggest using "bludgens" . These are the cheap hard rubber or plastic tips . They're durable , don't get stuck in trees , sheds , fences , etc , and are only about $9 for 4 .For small game , I use those and the G5 SGH tips . Good luck .
Old 05-31-2006, 05:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt squirrel's with my bow it's good practice for me.
I used 125g muzzy boardheads but that was spliting them in half then I was told to use a blint tip.
When I hunt for them I'll walk around and then I'll sit and wait for them to start running around.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:06 PM

This sounds like a great idea, but how does this work? I understand the blunt tips and all, but how do you retrieve the arrows if the squirrels are in the tree? How about shooting them on the ground? I would think it would be difficult and time consuming, trying to retrieve arrows in dense woods or undergrowth.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot then in the tree? I dont, for obivious reasons. If you want to retain a good number of arrows you have to wait till there is some kind of backstop behind the target as well as on ground level. Thats why judo heads would be a good idea, they are less likely to 'skip' and get lost. I would rather be standing when I shoot also simply because then there is a greater angle with the ground and the arrow will travel a shorter distance. Maybe stillhunt/spot and stalk?
Old 06-04-2006, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I was much younger, my friends and I would hunt squirrels with a bow. We even managed to bag a few.

We would lose lots of arrows, especially on those tempting shots at one sitting out on a limb. If the squirrel was a gainst the trunk or large limb, we'd usually get that arrow back although sometimes it would be bent. ( aluminum)

Shooting at squirrels with a bow is definitely fun. To tell you the truth, I enjoyed a close miss more than an actual hit. I hated cleaning those tuff buggers.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:59 PM

i never tried it but it looks pretty hard
Old 07-02-2006, 03:04 PM
Banned

The best way is too shoot down. Have them at a lower level than you. Here is an example with a rabbit. I was above and useda fieldtip on it; the shot pinned it to the ground and than it broke free and ran 20 ft with the arrow in it, so I drilled it in the head. I shoot squirrels all the time too.

Quick Reply: Squirrel hunting with a bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.