Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

What left this track?

Old 04-23-2006, 09:29 AM

Default What left this track?

Got my own idea, but appreciate your help. In Virginia, but don't let that rule anything out. Thanks

Old 04-23-2006, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What left this track?

Its obviously a dog, maybe someones pet.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's got extended claws, so we know its not a cat of any sort. And judging by the size, I would say it is a large dog / coyote.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:23 PM

I know where this is headed but it is definately not a cat of any species - Cat tracks have retractable claws and they would not be noticed in the track. It's a dog of some type but its gotta be a big one.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:36 PM

Domestic dog by the looks of it... a hint is that domestic dogs tend to have a more "circular" track as a whole withspreadout toes,and wild dogs tend to have "oval" tracks with tight toes, oftentimes being able to see fur between them. Also, wild dogs tend to have one track at a time, not two on top of eachother as the picture shows. Mud can have an affect on the toes, spreading, but by the looks of it, it's just a big domestic dog-- especially because coyotes don't have tracks that large--generally. Another good indicator for species is if the tracks run in a straight line, as they would for a coyote, or if they wander like a fox would. Hope this helps.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Canine vs. Feline Tracks - How to tell the difference between
Old 04-24-2006, 08:59 PM

Looks like my Weimaraners print....! How in the hell did he make it over to Virginia????
Old 04-29-2006, 06:42 AM
Banned

It's a dog
Old 04-30-2006, 01:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

from the looks of the nail prints the nails seem to be alot longer then what you would find on a non domesticated animal. the track is deffinately of a domestic dog from the size of the track it would be a large dog maybe labrador or an other breed similar in size. you might look around the area where the track was found and see if you can see anyones dogs in the area. 10 out of 10 that track belongs to a large local dog in your area.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Mastiff

Quick Reply: What left this track?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.