Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

frog gigging

Old 04-16-2006, 08:21 PM

Default frog gigging

does anyone go frog gigging
Old 04-17-2006, 02:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: frog gigging

I guess you could say I used to, only i would use 22 shorts shooting them through the head or I would use full power 22 long rifle and shoot the moist mud in front of them and the shock from the bullet hitting the mud would throw them and mud up onto the bank and would stun them long enough to go collect them. I would also use archery methods with either my compound or recurve using field points if you would hit one the arrow would pin them to the ground and then you would go get your frog and arrow. I never found using a gig to be very fun. also you might check your local regulations where as back in missouri you could only use firearms or archery methods on private property.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

I love to frog hunt, and do it in southwest Louisiana, southern Illinois, and southwestern Ohio. I generally use a gig, or sometime I just lay in the front of a boat, drift up to 'em and grab 'em. When i was much younger, we used to use .22's, but that's illegal in most places.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:07 PM

Frog gigging is one of the funnest things to do. Before I moved from Carrollton my neighborhood had a little pond behind it and every Saturday night me and my coon hunting partner would go and gig all night. We'd get about six a night. We'd wrap them up and freeze them overnight, and at lunch time we'd fry some frog legs.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:51 PM

Oh...HECK YES!!!! Not as much as I'd like to though. We either weld together our own gigs out of re-bar and nails or use pellet guns. I don't have many spots to do it, but I've got one little cattle pond (that hasn't seen cattle in 20years) that when you walk up on it the water literally comes alive with a complete layer lil frogs...and there is a always some big-daddies in there. Its usually our last spot because it's pretty much fool-proof.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:54 PM

cool i went last sat and it was openin day here in arkansas and me and some of my buddies gigged 17. we are goin to go again this weekend andget somemore to eat

Old 04-19-2006, 07:09 PM
emo

I like to use a long fishing rod and put something red on a hook, like a small rubber worm. All you have to do is get it close and the frog will jump off the lilly pad or what ever and stuff the bait in it's mouth.www. lazyshuntclub.org
Old 04-26-2006, 06:15 PM

I've only done it once, and i found out that a .22 long from 4 feet is not the most optimal weapon! I'd love to try it again, but with a different approach. Sit on a boat and shoot 'em from 20-30 yards with a .22 iron sights. If you can snipe frogs, then you can shoot deer!
Old 04-26-2006, 07:01 PM

yes sir. giggin is a blast. good eatin 2
Old 04-27-2006, 11:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Turkeyhunter,

What part of Arkansas do you all hunt. I make a couple oftrips to eastern Arkansas every year. The year before last, I hit a rice field canal northwest of Forrest City a got about three dozen. We went back last year and somehow the canal had been poisoned. Literally tons of dead fish floating everywhere and no frogs.