Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 question about ethics, not sure if its a good ? or not... >

question about ethics, not sure if its a good ? or not...

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

question about ethics, not sure if its a good ? or not...

Old 04-07-2006, 03:31 PM

Default question about ethics, not sure if its a good ? or not...

do you guys shoot what you want when you want? Or do you wait for the specific season? I dont know why this struck my mind but it did. I think most people just kill what they want when they want to (on private land), what is your guys thoughts?
Old 04-07-2006, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: question about ethics, not sure if its a good ? or not...

I shoot coyotes whenever I get the chance. I don't have many problems with coyotes taking livestock, but then again, most coyotes in my area are "new" to the territory.

For other varmints, I also shoot whenever and wherever. People call them varmints because they don't want them. They dig holes and consume resources that livestock or more desirable game animals coulde be utilizing.

One thing to remember about varmints, they are not designed to have much in way of life expectancy. So they also have the ability to populate rapidly.So shooting them doesn't do much in the way of harm tothe population. So if you derive enjoyment out of shooting them, why not? We put all other resources to use for our benefit, so why not varmints?
Old 04-07-2006, 06:54 PM

ORIGINAL: North Texan

People call them varmints because they don't want them. They dig holes and consume resources that livestock or more desirable game animals coulde be utilizing.

very true. thats about the only type of animal that i would shoot out of season. i was just in the woods the other day and i saw probably 12 squirells and i put each and everyone of them in my scope, but i new that i wasnt going to shoot one all because it was not in season.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:42 PM

Varmints-anytime of the year. There is no excuse, for example, why a ground squirrel should live on my land, crap on it, dig tunnels to sink my crops, and spread fleas, mites, and disease. A good ground squirrel is a dead one. Other varmints and predators like Badger, Coyote, Rabbit, and Jackrabbits are yearly, but depending on numbers and damage been done by. everything else, from turkey hunting and up, its season for me.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:04 AM

How coyote stalker said that a good ground squirel is a dead one, that might be good for him, but personally a really enjoy hunting them with my friends. If i had crops like you did it would probably be a different situation like you said the kill your crops and what not. in a situation like that i would probably look at the issue the same way that you do.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

If i could shoot what i want, when i want on my land, I would eat wild turkey almost everyday. But i don't.

However, I'll shoot coyotes and skunks on sight whether there is a season or not.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:57 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't shoot game animals out of season, I have a lifetime license to think about , but I'll snipe a varmint anytime .
Old 04-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot varmints, red squirrels and crows whenever i get the chance, its good to get rid of them anyways.