Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 00 buckshot for coyotes,deer,and bobcat >

00 buckshot for coyotes,deer,and bobcat

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

00 buckshot for coyotes,deer,and bobcat

Old 03-13-2006, 03:34 PM

Default 00 buckshot for coyotes,deer,and bobcat

hellow, would 00 buckshot do a lot of pelt damage for coyotes and bobcats at around 50 feet away.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 00 buckshot for coyotes,deer,and bobcat

Well, yes more than a rifle, but then your state may restrict what you can use. If you pattern your shotgun and happen to have a still target on yote and bobcats, you may be able to pattern more towards the head. But that is iffy; my experience is that missiles the size of 00 Buckshot do not respond well to chokes. Groups pattern better out of a cylinder bore. That is why military and police shotguns are cylinder bore. I am sure you could use smaller buckshot on yotes and bobs.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:52 PM

would #4 buckshot do a lot less pelt damage to them
Old 03-14-2006, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I think #4 would leave smaller holes. On the board, I have seen hunters recommend from #2 shot to 4 Buck on yotes. If you need to save pelts, and in some areas that means money, then it would pay to pattern your shotgun at a few know distances to check your spread and density. You can always carry a few different loads for the various game you may want to hunt. Bobcats are making a comeback in Iowa. The DNR is thinking about a season. I have yet to see one when I am in the woods, but hope to soon. Anyway, I would be happy to hear how your hunt goes!
Old 03-15-2006, 05:57 AM

thanks for youre awsome replyi hope yall get to have a bobcay season. man those pelt are worthalot
Old 03-26-2006, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

From my experiences of using buck shot on yotes. 00 buck actually does less damage since its pushing 9 pellets and I have never had all 9 pellets hit one, at the most I have had maybe 4 or 5 of the 9 hit. 4 buck has 27 pellets and leaves alot more holes in the hide 4 buck seems to pattern alot more evenly then 00 buck because there is more pellets I've had pelts that were basically ruined because they had over a dozen holes in them from 4 buck loads.