Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Airgun range ? Beeman S1

Old 02-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default Airgun range ? Beeman S1

I have a beeman S1,.177 cal.pretty good little squirrel getter. I'm curious what the longestdistance this gunwould be good for. Anyone try a 50 yd shot? Most of my kills have been 30 yds. & under.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:18 PM

Default RE: Airgun range ? Beeman S1

hey i got the same gun and i havent gone out to 50 yet but i did get one just over 40 so i would think it would make a 50 pretty easy.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Pellets lose energy fast , unless I'm shooting targets I don't try for much over thirty yards . What's the point of hitting the critter if all you end up doing is hurting it ?
Old 02-20-2006, 11:28 AM

dude, last year my one cousin (Frederick) shot a squirrel at a paced off 47 yards with his pumpmaster. u should be fine
Old 02-21-2006, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

Don't the olympics use similiar guns for targets out to 100 yds.?
I'm curious how far the pellet will travel .( with straight trajectory)
Old 02-22-2006, 06:14 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: NY Harvester

Those folks ain't shootin' Daisys or Crossmans , and similar is a relative term when you're referring to an air rifle that can cost $3,000-6,000 without scope , which can easily run an additional $2,000-3000 . The rifles they shoot are customized to the individual shooter just like sniper rifles are in the military , have electonically controlled air pressure , electric triggers , and a long list of other goodies . They also shoot at surprisingly low pressures since they aren't concerned with penetrating anything tougher than paper , accuracy is what they're after .
Old 02-24-2006, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NY Harvester

they say a air rifle is dangerous out to a 1/4 mile, I know my 177 cal Benjamin sheridan shoots straight to 50 yards, I have a 50 yard range setup in my backyard I use for air rifles and rimfires. I consistantly hit pop cans at 50 yards with copper head pointed pellets, aslong as im doing my part. Ive killed a crow and several squirrel with it at the 50 yard mark, the crow was square in the breast at an exact measured distance of 52 yards. Air rifles are alot more consistant and accurate then most people are willing to push them from my experience id say any air gun pushing 800 fps or faster should be fine out to 50 yards for small game.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

i had an old crossman pump up gun for a long time as a kid....i was DEADLY with that thing....my grandma had a pool with a field behind it....i put the BIG peppers out in the field and blasted them one time...i froget what i paced off but now that i think about it it was atleast a good 50yds....open sights...i used a little kentuky windage..i could see the dirt fly and compensate on the next shot....pellets blew right through at all ranges.....man i miss being a kid...i had a ball with that thing......there were holes in danged near everything from us!! her yard got infested with chipmunks one summer...EVERYWHERE.....the worst was the pool area....and one tunneled UNDER the pool and dug a hole under the liner...talk about a hole in a pool!! i hunted them little suckers and got them all.....alot lived around the pool and under the shed.....we tried commercial pellets...stong enough to kill a horse i think the bottle said...but they only worked on a few holes...them things were EVERYWHERE....i fixed that problem..wed camp out all summer down the road...my buddy had a decint sized piece of woods...wed shoot ALL day long.....
Old 02-24-2006, 05:02 PM

I shot a rabbit at 65 yards and it died right there. And I have taken many squirrels at 50 yards, just remember to shoot for the head cause they have a nasty habit of crawling into holes in the trees.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks all for the reply's. The Beeman sight says this .177pellet travels at 900 fps. I'm gonna have totake it to the range & see her limit.

Quick Reply: Airgun range ? Beeman S1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.