Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

bowhuntin yote

Old 02-18-2006, 12:59 PM

Default bowhuntin yote

has anyone ever bowhunte dcoyote sucessful and if so if u got any pics or tips.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bowhuntin yote

By this summer, Verminator will be coming out with the first bow kill only predator video. It will be awesome. He has around 25 bow kills, along with many, many, misses. Some footage that will be talked about for years to come.
I've killed 5 called coyotes with my bow. Using the buddy system, one caller and one shooter set up down wind away from the caller works best. The biggest "hurdle" to get over, is getting the bow drawn without the coyote seeing you. If they see movement, game is over, usually! The reason the shooter needs to sit down wind of the caller, could use a Ecaller also, is that the coyote tends to go downwind of the caller/Ecaller! How far downwind is a huge variable though. Sometimes they go way downwind and sometimes they nearly go straight to thesound. So it's a crap shoot as where the shooter needs to sit.
A blind can be used, BUT it needs to be blended into the surroundings very well OR it needs to be set up for a long period of time for them to adapt to it. Coyotes aren't like turkeys where as a blind out in theopen is not acceptable to them likeit is to the turkey!
Killing a called predator with a bow is got to be one of the hardest hunts going! The kill to call ratio is very low, so if ya try it, I wish ya luck!
Old 02-19-2006, 08:30 AM

i killed a coyote with a bow this season but i patterned them for weeks and watched to see where they were coming out in the afternoon from their bedding area
when is this video coming out, i will buy it right away?!!
Old 02-19-2006, 10:22 AM

Out of all my yote hunting, I have taken 7 yotes with my compounds. 5 were with a total concealed blind, and the other two were taken by stalking/ambush. Gutpiles work very well if you can get the winds to carry the scent and not your scent. This year, I am changing broadheads and bought a new bow, so I will be going out in April with the bow for yotes. Other than that, the good old .308 and .338 Lapua are my yote takers of choice. If you are going out bowhunting for yotes, make sure you practice 20 yard, 30 yard, and even 40 yard shots with the bow. You never know when an opportunity starts slipping away when you need that yote to come in closer.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:49 AM

I am trying it on my friend's property in PA this year. basically gonna use firearms though, but i am still gonna try.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:13 AM

My uncle in Idaho hunts coyotes out of his ground blind that he uses for elk and antelope. They come to a watering hole out in the midle of now where. He doesn't hunt them exclusively but gets quite a few every year while hunting other game. i've got one pic of a coyote he got - hit it right in the eye at 40 yrds.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

bowhunting for yotes looks fun, a bit tricky though. I'd say the main thing to be aware of is wind direction and sent control.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Zdeerslayer

bowhunting for yotes looks fun, a bit tricky though. I'd say the main thing to be aware of is wind direction and sent control.

Wind direction and scent control is the same in bowhunting scenarios as it does in rifle or hadngun scenarios. It doesn't change.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:22 PM

sounds fun!
Old 02-24-2006, 10:25 PM

Quick story... Bowhunting elk in Oregon, 12 foot treestand, really bored when a rabbit hops out. My uncle arrowed the rabbit in the rear,(accidently). That rabbit started screaming like a stuck pig. Within five minutes he arrowed 2 coyotes that came in checking things out. True story!!

Quick Reply: bowhuntin yote

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.