Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

small game hunting with the bow.....

Old 02-02-2006, 11:25 AM

Default small game hunting with the bow.....

hey what do you guys recomend for hunting small game with the bow??? I've already gotten 9 squirrels and 5 armadillos with the bow sooo. If you have some arrows that you don't want anymore go and shoot an armadillo and even if you hit it in the heart you'll find that it's gone the next morning. (Voice of experiance)

Nick
Old 02-02-2006, 11:29 AM

Default RE: small game hunting with the bow.....

I use G5 small game heads. THey work great, i have been shooting squirrles and rabbits with them all season.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:14 PM

i don't have a problem with hunting small game myself with bows, even i do it i have to say. but i would get a shotgun and put a modified choke on it and start pumping lead on crows or whatever, just don't use too big of loads. 12 gauge is the best. how in the heck do u hunt squirrels with a bow?(unless it's like super accurate)
Old 02-03-2006, 06:00 PM

I use Judo Points and have had alot of luckwith them on rabbits. It is fun, challenge and it is very humbling too.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

Ya i want to try my bow for rabbits. I have dogs and I would think that would be the funest thing to shoot a rabbit going somewhat slow with dogs barking in the background. I would use my TI-2 extremes that are found at fleetfarm. 3 of them for $10 I got a deer with them this past year and it got right through the rib and front shoulder no problem, no damage until it hit the rock in the ground, then a blade bent. Shot her at 12 yards with my bowtech. Just think what it would do to a rabbit or squirrel.

Did any of you try using them new broadhead for turkeys? The 2 inch or 4 inch blades, i seen them used on TV for turkeys mainly, not to be used on deer but they were cutting the head right off the turkey? Thanks
Old 02-06-2006, 08:25 PM

well cooradoprohunter,I use a recurve and I bait the squirrels and shoot them from about 10 yards away. It can be diffacult at first but I've gotten used to shooting at smaller targets sooo. Oh and armadillows you justwalk up to and they won't know any differant. Then you can shoot them at like two feet away. Oh and wihunter1388,I have not tried the new turkey braodheads. Mostly because their expencive. But other then that.... Well thatnks for all of your help guys!!!

Nick

Old 02-07-2006, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never really went small game hunting with my bow. I'll usually be hunting deer when they will hope along on a slow day and I'll try to get them. I had bad luck on the fox squirrels this year though...0 for 2[:'(] Ohh well, I got lucky once while walking out of the woods one morning...took a rabbit at 20 yds with my old bow. First rabbit and archery kill ever! The field tips worked just fine.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:39 PM

I have killed lots of squirrels with my bow, I normally use a regular field point with a quarter inch steel washer between the arrow and the tip. I hunt oak trees so I use Flu-Flu arrows to cut down on arrow loss.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

I buy the cheapee BH's when they go on sale after deerseason. I stick thesquirrels at 20-25 yds when their on the ground. Big fun.I havetakenmany squirrel and a few woodchucks this way. Bugeredup a few BH's also, but they're cheap.I personally would not use a field point on ANY game.[:'(]
Old 02-27-2006, 12:32 PM

Anybody know anything about theadder points? Looks like something you could get a squirrel with behind a field point.

Quick Reply: small game hunting with the bow.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.