Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

"Wiley" Ain't Grinnin' No More.....

Old 01-29-2006, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default "Wiley" Ain't Grinnin' No More.....

I thought some of you die hard predator callers might like some coyote stimulation. I am far from an expert when it comes to calling in coyotes. In fact if there was a catagory below novice that is where I would fall under.

This was my sixth trip out this year. I usually go at the end of the day after any work I have to accomplish. Isit and call for an hour or so; obviously I don't "work" to hard at it.

This is the first coyote to come in to the call this year. I started out with some dying rabbit calls (Faulks P-60)and later added some howls (Primos mini mag howler).The 32 pound young male walked out into a picked bean field and gave me a 120 yard standing shot, he went down like the proverbial sack of potatoes and didn't even flinch. The gun I used was a Remington 700 22-250 that I bought used over 30 years ago.

A question that I have for some of the experts out there is this... What is your percentage of having coyotes come in to your calls (actually seeing at least one) versus the number of times you go out?
Old 01-29-2006, 10:29 AM

Default RE: "Wiley" Ain't Grinnin' No More.....

Good job! There is nothing more rewarding than actually calling in your yote by yourself. To answer your question at the bottom of your post, I would have to say about 75% of the time I can call in a yote, but it all depends on the location of the yote and the weather/time. We have had so much shifting winds lately, that the calls have been going in all directions. Keep taking those yotes!
Old 01-29-2006, 02:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice yote!

I find that from location to location, success varies from about 10% to 25%. Sightings may up that figure 5-10%, as sometimes I just can't get them in a spot where I am comfortable making the shot.

My success used to be higher, as I was the only one around that hunted them much. In the last few years, all the ranches around here have sold and folks from the city bought land to deer hunt. They brought out calls and gazillion CP spotlights and educated every coyote in the country. I've gotten some of them trained, and now my success and their's is starting to go back up some as the educated coyotes are becoming fewer and further between.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:02 PM

Congratulations on the kill!
Old 01-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome yote!