Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

To all you crow hunters...

Old 12-31-2005, 05:15 PM

Default To all you crow hunters...

I was just sending out a simple post asking for tips on setting up, the gear you use(type of gun), and things that you need to now when hunting crows. THANKS A LOT!
Old 12-31-2005, 08:48 PM

Default RE: To all you crow hunters...

Tryclicking thishttp://www.airgunhunters.com/article_crows1.html. It will definitely help. Try using a Remington 870 Express 12 gauge, cheap but outstanding quality.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:29 AM

I´ve been tagging along with friends for a few crow huntsand that was great fun.
They sure have sharp eyes and the need to hide is vital. We used a fake owl with a dead crow attached to it with the wings broken and moving in the wind. It was fixed on a pole that was raised a few meters over threetops.Then we called when we heard crows or every now and then. The crows became very aggitated and swooped at the owl and that offered the chance to shoot. The guys I was with said that weather was a big factor. Cloudy mild weathermade for less crows but more of them went for the owl. These were mostly migratory crows that followed their natural flightpath. Rumour has it that if you shoot one of a pair of crows, the other one will still protect their habitat from other crows but consequently not bring new crows to this world.

Hear of others who prefer rifle shooting, that place a number of feeding places around them and sit at a distance of perhaps 100 meters or so.

Trapping them is more common here but thats more of a pest control effort or getting game to use when training retrievers.

Hope you have a good time and let the forum know of your progress.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a digital caller and if you have anything like that, just get into an area where the crows like to roost (night) or feed (morning) and get there early. This may take some scouting. Put that call to work and don't stop it. I use a 12 gauge Remington Wingmaster. Good 7 1/2 or 6 shot, depending on the area. Sometimes I know they will be close, other times I know I will need some more pop. Good luck, any more questions P.M. me. Hope I helped.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:19 PM

i also have a digital caller and i use the single excited crow, injured crow, some type that sounds like a flock of crows, owl/crow fight, and if that stops working somtimes i'll use some preditor calls. be dressed in full camo make sure you have somthing on your hands too.when i want to get serious i wake up and am out their by sunrise, but most of the time i like to sleep in eat breakfast meet up with a few buddies and go out around 9 or 10am. i like to setup at a feilds edge or in the woods where the trees aren't as tall with lots of open spaces for shots. "crows will fly over the trees so don't setup around big trees where they won't be in range" once in awhile my buddy breaks out the goose blinds and we lay out in the middle of the feilds. for guns i would say bring what ever shotgun you are used to. when i was younger i killed a ton with my 870 28 guage but now i normally use my 11-87 20 guage and sometimes i'll bring out my mossburg 500 12 guage and for shells i like the 6's but if it is windy i might use 4's because the crows seem to fly higher when its windy, this year we bought 6 crow decoys and they really seem to bring them in lower
Old 01-01-2006, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I need to lok into them crow decoys... I heard they work like a charm! Do you got the styrofoam ones with the clip? I like those and they are cheaper than most!
Old 01-02-2006, 07:38 AM

no the ones we have are the plastic full size ones. what we used to do before we got the decoys was lay the dead crows out in different positions and it always seemed once you got about 4 or so laying there it would really start bringing the crows into range

"i think if i had to do it again i would buy the plastic decoys again becausei think they hold up better. the ones we are using now are pushing 3 years old and still going strong. where i think the styrofoam ones would have broke or fallen apart by now"
Old 01-02-2006, 07:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

A good .17 rimfire with a good scope is a crow killing machine.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:31 AM

i take my remington 870 12ga with 1 1/4 or 1 3/8 4 or 5 shot and we have 3 dozen flambeau dekes and hang some in trees and some on the ground. we put anowl deke in a tree with a few crows round it. ive used both electric and hand calls and i personally favor the hand call. crow hunting is one of my favorite hunting. you can try about anything and you will still have some luck more then likely. location is the biggest part of it tho.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

I use a Johhny Stewart electronic caller.Fighting crows works the best for me.Lower the volume as they come in.SOmetimes it helps to get infront of the caller on call shy birds.When they get real smart you can figure which trees thery like to sit in,and pick them off with a .22 or .177 rifle whichever you prefer.I like to let a few birds come in before I start shooting.If you pick the solo bird off the rest won't usually come.I generally use my 11-87 12ga auto.Generally I use high brass 7 1/2's,but 6's work great for long range.I usually use a modified choke,but depending on the average range I will change chokes.I usually keep my choke tubes with me in my electronic calling case.We hunt near a landfill.Oh,one more thing I have found out that the best way to get them to come in shooting range is to set up in areas where they will only be able to see 75 yds or so.If he can see too far he will fly high circling,or sit off at a distance.I tried the owl thing,but have not had any success with it yet,but I'm sure it works.I tied up some peices of trash bags,and filled them with a little sand.Then threw them into the trees to look like a crow.That worked a little..(until they get close enough to see better).Hope I helped.

Quick Reply: To all you crow hunters...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.