Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

black coyote

Old 12-29-2005, 10:18 PM

Default black coyote

today i went deer hunting. where i deer hunt is in a diffrent county than where i go out for fox and coyote. one of the guys shot a black coyote on his stand and brought it back to the camp so show off. i asked him what he was going to do with it and he just said that he was going to toss it into the gut pile. i just thought to myself what a wast of fur. it is a nice size dog, prime pelt, and he's not going to do anything with it. me being me i asked him for the yote and he gave it to me. the one thing i wished i had was my camara but i took pics of the pelt befor i forze it. i told them that i had never seen a black coyote before and they all made it clear to me that most all of the coyotes out there are black. looks like i've found myself a new yote hunting spot.

the pic
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/Surfzone/115_1516.jpg
Old 12-29-2005, 10:20 PM

Default RE: black coyote

Your pic does not work. Comes up in error. I am curious to see this pic. Never seen a black yote before. I have seen a very light coated yote which looked like a yote with no shading.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:23 PM

it should work now
Old 12-29-2005, 10:35 PM

It's working, that is one dark coyote.

Old 12-30-2005, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is cool, sure would be a trophy... We only have black wolves, no black coyotes...
Old 01-01-2006, 10:16 AM

i'm going calling there next weekend just to see what i call in. in South Carolina you can hunt coyote all year but fox season ends on the 1st of january. it really stinks b/c fur here doesn't get prime untill december and january, and the fox season opens in Aug. i honestly think the fox season should open with the rest of the small game which is typicaly on Thanksgiving. but any way that's my bone to pick with the SCDNR. whith all that said i can still go hunt for plenty of fur such as coyote, bobcat,and coons. infact my grandma has already put in her order for coons this year. she says that she just wants 5 but what that realy means is take that number and multiply it by 3.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:48 AM

ive not seen a black yote. should have got a full body mount of it. tho 2 years ago i shot a spotted yote. i figure it breeded with the neighbors coonhound but it was pretty cool. i got 150$ for the pelt so it was pretty cool. it wasnt really good fur. it was way not prime but o well

Old 01-02-2006, 11:04 AM

Im from NY state, and we see some nice color phases on some huge coyotes here. Black is the least common, but we still see some each year. We get all the grey/brown average colors, some with black and straw colored. Then we get some that color with distinct black markings, like leg "socks" and facial highlights. We also get a lot of blondes, ones I refer to as cinnamon, and even some truly red coyotes, all reddish with some white. They almost look like red fox with no black marks. We also get the blacks, always with a white spot on the chest, some are grey underfurred, some have dark brown highlights. Sometimes theyre much darker, but they always have solid black legs, ears and face. As a taxidermist, I sure see all the colors here. Just thought you might be interested to know. By the way, many taxidermists like buying the odd colored ones, so dont throw them away. Ive seen them pay way too much for them, so why fight it, eh? Good luck guys!
Old 01-02-2006, 08:10 PM

he does have a white patch on his chest. i never knew that you can find coyotes in diffrent colors like that. i thought about getting him mounted but money is tight and i know how to tan hides so i decided to save the pelt as a wall hanging
Old 01-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Fork Horn

I have never seen a live black coyote and I would like to. If I was you Iwould consider trying to mount it.

Quick Reply: black coyote

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.