Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Anyone Do Small Game Airgun Hunting?

Old 12-12-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Anyone Do Small Game Airgun Hunting?

Does anyone here go small game hunting using an airgun?
Old 12-12-2005, 11:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anyone Do Small Game Airgun Hunting?

Not much anymore, but I did in my younger years. I always went down to the corrals and shot cowbirds and sparrows. Every now and then a squirrel, rabbit, or possum would find itself on the receiving end. I had a cow dog that spent many years following me through the woods and treeing critters. I would go out every day after school, and all day on weekends.

I still like to shoot them every now and then, just because they are quite and cheap to shoot. In fact, I got a squirrel Thanksgiving weekend.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:41 AM
Dominant Buck

I used to do that a lot , rabbits mostly . Once the deer season starts it's kinda hard for me to think of anything else though .
Old 12-13-2005, 10:58 AM

i have killed like 40 squirrels in my backyard with my .177 gamo pellet gun......this is over prob 4 years or so but when i was home for school, i would kill at least one or two per day.....my furthest kill with the pellet gun was 58 yards on a squirrel and my two roomates saw it!
Old 12-13-2005, 05:07 PM

i've shot squirrels with my pellet gun. along with a chipmunk or two, some moles, and a few birds. my gun is reletivly slow, shoots 640fps, but it was still able to do the job on squirrels. i used hollow points and had 'em traveling straight through squirrels heads. instant kills from about 25 yards off of trees. moles are fun to shoot with my gun to. i'll take it out and scan some brushy area waiting for one to come out and feast on some grass. once one does i use my open sites to nail 'em. they're hard to hit at 20 yards with open sights lemme tell ya. i have made some nice head shots on them though.
if your new to using airguns for small game then drop me a PM, i might be able to give ya some helpful hints. otherwise i'll see ya around the forums thunter
Old 12-14-2005, 10:57 AM

Yup. Got a RWS model 48 with scope 22 cal. Use hollow point pellets. head shot every time.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:29 PM
Fork Horn

.177, 1200 fps, and a 3x9 scope with either pointed field pellets or wad cutters. I hunt for raccoon and squirrel and the pellets leave much smaller holes in the fur than a .22 or .17 and I've got mine sighted in for 75 yards. but dont let people bum you out about it I've had lots of people make fun of me for hunting with a air gun but whos hides have smaller holes in them and whos gun has less muzzle blast?
Old 12-23-2005, 06:33 PM

I dont really do any serious small game hunting with my pellet gun, but i try to go out every weekend with my .177 cal crosman 1760 and plink around. Even though i dont often hunt withthe gun, but when i have ive taken half dozen squirells and 1 rabbit in the past few years.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:02 PM

.20 cal. pellet gun, sweet gun my first gun ever. dont know much about fps or anything cuz my dad got it at a turkey shoot. but i shot clean through a heavy duty plastic coffee maker at 75 yards. pretty nice gun. havent killed anything with it though, maybe i will get a squirrel with it next weekend when i go hunting
Old 01-02-2006, 02:08 PM

Yeah i've been thinking about starting to do some airgun hunting since here in MD you can't use rifle where i am. Anyone in MD thats into it please send me a IM or shoot me an e-mail if you want to meet up. Like I need another reason to get in the woods! LOL

Quick Reply: Anyone Do Small Game Airgun Hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.