Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Need New Coyote Calls That Won't Freeze Up >

Need New Coyote Calls That Won't Freeze Up

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Need New Coyote Calls That Won't Freeze Up

Old 12-02-2005, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need New Coyote Calls That Won't Freeze Up

So I went out coyote calling tonite (7 degrees) and I walked about a mile into a good location, I called for about 45 seconds on my Verminator Tweety call and it froze up, so I tried 2 of my Tally Hos and they were froze as well. So this is really making me upset, after walking in a mile, in a snow storm, in 1-2ft of snow and having my calls not work. I know there are some guys on here that make calls and stuff, so I would love to hear from you guys, or anyone else that calls in cold conditions.

That Foxpro is looking better and better every day!
Old 12-03-2005, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need New Coyote Calls That Won't Freeze Up

I don't see how an opne reed call, that has the reed in your mouth can, "freeze up"! When I saw the title to your thread, I assumed you were using enclosed reed calls.
So I guess you need to explain, how does an open reed call, that has the reed in your mouth, freeze up, unless your mouth is an ice maker!

If the call is in your pocket while walking, you then pull it out to use, put it in your warm mouth, blow warm spit and air through it, how does it freeze up?

If that's the case with the calls you mentioned, electronic is your only option, and you're right, the fox pro is a great choice!

Old 12-03-2005, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Howler - Believe me I was as amazed as you are that they froze up. I don't know if I would really call them freezing up or what it was. I'd do a set of calls, then wait, then go to pick them up, they weren't froze, they just wouldn't make any noise. I stuck them in my pants pocket hoping to warm them up, but it got dark so I didn't try them till I got back to my pickup and they worked again. Maybe they just need a lil more protection than hanging on my lanyard, it was snowing pretty good at that time, and there was about a 15mph wind in my face. That might have had a lot to do with it.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I suppose, that between the time you actually were blowing on the call, and when the call was dangling on the lanyard, some spit could have froze under the reed. In that case, keeping the call/reed in your mouth during the complete set would be a possible cure. It would take very little ice formation under the reed to keep it from working correctly, so by keeping the call in your mouth, the ice wouldn't have a chance to form.
Another possible solution would be to turn the call around backwards and blow through it hard. Might melt the ice or clear any debris that may be caught under the reed.
Good luck, calling should be real good with temps. that low!