Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

coon trapping

Old 11-25-2005, 09:51 PM

Default RE: coon trapping

If you trap in creaks just use aluminum foil over the pan.The coons like the silver for some reason.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:01 PM

i just strung up a rockbass and hung it in the back of the trap. the first morning i didnt have anything but then it started to smell a lil bit and i had a HUGE coon in the trap the next mornin!

but it was out of season so we had to let it go........he'll be even bigger next time i catch him!
Old 12-11-2005, 07:40 PM
Spike

I am new to trapping, and for right now I have a bow trap because we have many farm cats at our farm, and also two dogs. I have not had any luck so far on catching anything at all. I have seen coons at our farm before, but they just don't seem to be around now that I have started trapping. I would like to find some more other traps that are fairly inexpensive and very effective. I know I can not use snares so that is out of the picture. What traps would you reccomend?

Joker

Also what bait would you use for this live trap I have right now?

Old 12-11-2005, 08:40 PM

I use Duke 1 1/2 coilspring traps for coons and fox. They are pretty cheap, they are about 6 bucks each and about 58 bucks for 12
Old 12-12-2005, 06:47 AM

Stick with the sardines the Opossum is just beating the coons to the trap. When you catch a opossum either dipatch it or take it miles away you will eventually get to the coons.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:38 PM

Once I was stumped trapping a culvert. What I ended up doing was getting two cornish hens from the store that expired. I wired them to the middle of the culvert on both sides and set a leg hold on each corner of the culvert. Usually ended up with at least 2 coon each night. Trust me it works, between coon hunting, fox and yote driving we take around 500 or more pelts in each year.

Now for Joker33 I would recommend snares if they are legal in your state. The are cheap and easy to make if you would like to do that.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:48 PM

I use the sardines and just hunt the coons because it's more fun!
Old 12-18-2005, 02:32 PM
Spike

Hey guys thank you for the help. I have one more question over this though. What do you guys think would be the best kind of trap for a beginner like myself to use? A coil spring, conibear, or a snare? Well thank you

Joker33
Old 12-18-2005, 03:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

I always considered a pocket set with a 1.5 coilspring under a couple inches of water and Jack mackeral for bait to be the easiest way to catch coons and the occasional mink. You've gotta be careful with Conibears and snares if you're trapping in areas with a lot of rabbit and bird dogs running around. But that's just my opinion..
Old 12-20-2005, 04:08 PM

I think a 1.75 coil spring is a good all around, most all my foxes are pad caught and it's big enough to hold a coon. Although here in the south we get some large coons so at times I will use a no. 2

Quick Reply: coon trapping

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.