Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

please help

Old 10-31-2005, 11:28 PM

Default please help

been hunting coyutes for 2yrs now and no luck
i have electric caller and all the goodies
ive got them in were ive found tracks and urine within 50 yards but its wooded where i hunt and have only seen a couple they were all on the run
i use a blind somtimes now most of the time but still nothing even with the sent bock urine and i seal all my gear with leaves walnuts acorns ect. that have never been touched i still think they smell me
someone recently told me to try smoking all my gear to cover scent
what do you think
also i know there there besides tracks and skat ive heard them and seen them roaside hit by cars i live in the poconos pa
Old 11-01-2005, 02:26 AM
Spike

Default RE: please help

Instead of using a lot of cover scent, you need to set up to prevent them from smelling you. Keep a ditch or river on your downwind side, or a rock bluff, anything that would make it impossible to circle behind you. Go to a new area, chances are, they are on to you. You'd be surprised at the number that respond that you don't see.Take a buddy along and set up on a pasture, and use the buddy as a downwind shooter. They always circle in from downwind. Walk at least a quarter mile from your truck, and as quietly as possible. Since you're in a wooded area, I would use a distressed fawn call. Don't call too loudly or too often. Setting up near thickets would be good also. If distressed calls aren't working, then switch to coyote sounds. Before daylight, hit the coyote locator call, if any are around, they will answer. The female coyote invitation will work good too. The distressed coyote pup will bring them in too.
If you can locate them with the coyote locator, slip in as close as you think you can, then set up. Just at the break of day, try the locator again and you might call in the entire pack.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:42 AM

ive tried most of what your saying i always hunt with a friend of mine well almost always
weve set up with a shooter 10 yards off the river and a caller about 100 yards upwind of the shooter still nothing

Old 11-05-2005, 02:55 AM
Spike

Don't give up. I hit dry spells sometimes and want to pull out my hair. Try a new area and new sounds. Not to offend your buddy, but try it a few times by yourself. You may be calling too often or too loud. Are you using a digital caller or tape model?? You may want to try using a decoy. I have taken a fishing reel with lightweight mono. Run the line over a limb and hang the decoy to where he appears to be standing on the ground. Jerk the line just hard enough to make the decoy jump around. A buddy would work well in this situation, let him work the decoy. I bet you have had predators in close, they just needed something besides the sound to entice them in.