Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

First Black Powder Squirell

Old 10-25-2005, 06:59 PM

Default First Black Powder Squirell

I just took my first squirell ever and took it with my .32 Traditions Crockett black powder rifle. I have to say that is a very accurate rifle when it's sighted in. LOL. I was actually out hunting bunnies and not seeing any when all of a sudden I was getting barked by a squirell. I looked around for it and couldn't see it, but right in front of me maybe 30 ft. was a squirell sitting on a branch. I had to move to make a safe shot and it dropped like a rock. It was a good clean kill and is now in my freezer. I should have stuck around that area because I know there were at least 2 - 3 more squirells around. I have never eaten squirell, but am going to give it a try when I get enough for a meal.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: First Black Powder Squirell

Awesome! Congrats!!
Old 10-26-2005, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

cool!!!! i've been tossing around the idea of getting one of those rifles. are they good quality???
Old 10-27-2005, 08:25 AM

I haven't used black powder for squirrel since the '60's. Somehow it adds to the experience. Squirrel in gravy is sooo good!! As is squirrel stew, and my dad's favorite, squirrel spaghetti sauce. Congratulations, Finaddict. Got to get myself a few more BP guns. All I have now is a CVA Mountain Rifle (.50 cal.).
Old 10-27-2005, 10:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Good Job! Congrat's!
Old 10-27-2005, 05:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Hunter06FlKy

cool!!!! i've been tossing around the idea of getting one of those rifles. are they good quality???
I love my Traditions Crockett .32. It is a tack driver. Very accurate and not very heavy. No problem carrying it around for a few hours of hunting. I like the double set triggers. It makes for about a one pound let off on the trigger when you are ready to shoot. Sweet! You won't regret it if you get one.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:23 PM

have never eaten squirell, but am going to give it a try when I get enough for a meal.
Try this (from field and stream):

Larry Brown’s Squirrel, Biscuits, and Gravy (Serves four)
The late Larry Brown, the author of Joe, Billy Ray’s Farm, and seven other classics of Southern literature, had a saying. When things were difficult, complicated, aggravating, or vexing in one way or another, he’d say, “They ain’t squirrels, baby.” Squirrels, for Larry, were the antithesis of all that: They were a joy to hunt, a joy to cook, and a joy to eat. Hunting and eating them was one of life’s simple pleasures—along with bream fishing, slow back-roads driving, drinking with pals, and cradling his grandchildren. On numerous mornings he greeted me with a plate of squirrel, biscuits, and gravy, his signature dish, usually made with grays his sons had killed. Nothing ever tasted better, or will again.
2 squirrels (about 1 pound each), dressed and quartered
2/3 cup flour for dredging, plus roughly 1/4 cup for gravy
5 slices bacon
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Biscuits
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup vegetable shortening, chilled
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons butter, melted

1. Parboil the squirrel pieces: Place them in a large pot and add enough salted water to cover. Bring to a simmer and cook until the meat is very tender but still intact—1 to 2 hours. Remove them from the water and set aside to cool.
2. In a large cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven, fry the bacon slices over medium heat until they’re crispy and all the fat has been rendered. Reserve the bacon for another use. In a wide, shallow bowl or pan, season 2/3 cup of flour (or more as needed) with salt and pepper. Dredge the squirrel pieces in it, shaking off any excess, and place them in the bacon grease. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook the squirrel until lightly browned on all sides, about 10 minutes per side. You may have to do this in batches; add butter to the pan if the grease seems insufficient.
3. In the meantime, make the biscuits: Preheat the oven to 400°. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Divide the shortening into several pieces and cut it into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a hole in the center and pour in the buttermilk. Using your hands, fold the dry mixture into the buttermilk until you have a sticky dough. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and fold it over on itself to form layers. Flatten it with your hands until it’s about 3/4 inch thick. Using a biscuit cutter or an upside-down glass, cut rounds out of the dough. Transfer the rounds to a sheet pan and brush with melted butter. Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown.
4. When the squirrel pieces are done, remove them to a plate or keep them warm in a low oven. Pour off the excess grease, keeping about 1/4 cup in the pan. Increase the heat to medium-high and add 1/4 cup of flour, stirring constantly and scraping up any browned bits until the mixture turns an oaky shade of brown. Add 3/4 cup of cold water and stir until a thick gravy forms; if it’s too thick, add more water. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve the squirrel and biscuits with the gravy on the side.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:54 PM

Thanks Susquatch. Yum!!!!!!! I'll have to give that recipe a try.