Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

calf killers

Old 09-01-2005, 08:56 PM

Default calf killers

well this morning i hate to say but a pack of coyotes took down one of our calves from last year how do i hunt them ive called and nothin and ive been callin for about 3 years and these guys just will not work with me any input would be appreiated thanks
Old 09-02-2005, 07:58 AM

Default RE: calf killers

I'm going to assume that you've been using a rabbit distress call???

if so, try something different.

try a coyote howler. open reed howlers are hard to get used to, but are effective when distress calls have educated those da** dogs.
electronic calls are more convienient, but cost more.

sitting over bait is another option, however not a method i use. It is a waste of time to me to sit in one spot for hours looking at a dead animal, waiting for another animal to come eat it. i will, however, use bait to keep coyotes active in a certain area, then call at them.

where are you located?
What terrain features do you hunt?
Old 09-02-2005, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

How bout using some punctuation to form sentences. I need an asprin after reading your post lol.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:56 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack

How bout using some punctuation to form sentences. I need an asprin after reading your post lol.

Hey BRUTAL, give the guy a break.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:31 AM

This might sound a bit elaborate, but I would be pissed enough to try something a little elaborate to keep more of my calves from dying. You could set up a make-shift and hopefully coyote proof run, and put your noisiest calf in there over night. Just make sure that its away from the herd so that the calf starts calling for mommy. I would think that coyotes would come running to that, and when they do you know what to do next. You might even want to bring a friend or three with you to help with the shooting, so you can kill as many as possible before they high tail it out of there!
Old 09-12-2005, 02:23 PM

i think tomfromtheshade has a good point. . . either get sum good shootin' buddies that are excellent shots (ya don't need the beef in the freezer too early). either that or set out some dynamite !!!

KILL THE BASTURDS DOWN WITH THE COYOTES
(a neighbor of mine lost five cattle last week to coyotes, steers and heffers)
Old 09-13-2005, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

Snares and traps.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:05 AM

hoghunter: this is what i have done in the past. . . it works really good if ya have a nightvision rifle scope

go around and collect some road kill such as rabbits, squirrels, ground hogs.....nothing a coyote wouldn't normally eat alive, and ya either tie a couple of . . "things" in a tree close enough to the ground that a coyote might reach it. . .and the wind can blow the scent. . . it may take a while or even a couple of days but if ya keep a check on the bait ya might get a good shot

something else is to take that rabbit roadkill and with an electronic call or manual call, place the "wounded" (actually dead) bunny out infront of ya less than a hundred yds and in a place where the coyote that's checkin' things out for the pack can easily see the bunny. . . start squealin' for a few minutes. . . .wait 15-20 minutes. . . .squeal a bit. . . wait. . . . and if ya do it close to dusk. . . . at some of the last minutes of daylight, give a final couple squeals and then some good long howls on a tape or electronic call. . . . .and here's where the night scope comes in handy. . . . cause from that point on just howl. . .wait 5 min. . . couple howls. . . wait. . . don't make it regular but this is what i have done and have been with others who have taught me this trick and it has been effective. . . . we are here to help you

ps. if ya do have a nightscope on your rifle and you obviously can use it during the day, i have taken a second rifle with me. . . of course i'm close to the house and i hunt on top of a hill with the "bait" below me. .. .
Old 09-14-2005, 01:33 PM

Snares would be your best bet,and easiest!
Old 09-18-2005, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

call up some friends and put a BOUNTY on dem critters..... sounds like a handful for you by yourself,,get some back up and kick some YOTEY butt...good luck..... also lay plenty traps, snares, and a couple of tough ass dogs.. Invest in some lighting too..... .Pull out all the stops if its your livlihoood. Hell Im in!!