Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

17 HMR / Coyoters

Old 09-11-2005, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 17 HMR / Coyoters

The .17 HMR will kill a coyote, BUT it won't "bang flop" a coyote, so unless you're darn good at tracking, I wouldn't recomend it. Don't expect any blood trail, because there won't be enough to track, because most likely there will be .17 cal. hole in and no hole out. I often wonder when we hear about the "great success" on coyotes with the .17 HMR, how many of the lost critters go untold!
For everyone hunter touting it's great ability, there are 3 others saying that they tried it and learned the hard way with lost coyotes! I've shot 100's of prairie dogs with my 17 HMR, and just from that, I don't see it being the right choice for coyotes!
Old 09-12-2005, 02:12 PM

gopher: i do understand that the .172 will kill a coyote. . . if ya shoot it in the eye. .. but think about it, would ya rather work hard to call that one coyote in and it only comes in say 250 yds. . . .with a 10mph cross wind. . . . will that tiny little pill make it into the space between the ribs of that 50+pound coyote? and if it does. . . like howler said, are ya gonna be willing to track it down. . . .ya might have to put another round in it IF ya find it.. . . two bullets from a .172 versus one .204 shot !!

i can see the advantages of shoot squirrels with a 17, but something like a large coyote. . . . .ya'd have to bring 'em in close. . . . so why not use a scatter gun and really do sum damage instead of one tiny hole, ya got 30 tiny holes !!
yee haw ! ya could take the 'ole dog out to track down the WOUNDED coyote after ya shot it with your 17 HMR. . . . .
Old 09-12-2005, 06:01 PM

100 yards to 200 yards is not something i would use a shotgun for so there is a big difference between the 17hmr and a shotgun...and i wounldn't track a coyote because it is not something i would keep or eat. they are just varmints and i treat them as such .....just want them dead and have some fun while doing it
Old 09-13-2005, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

So UThunter, what you are saying is that if you shot a coyote, at what ever yardage, with the .17 HMR, and it runs off, you will NOT go look for it. INSTEAD, you will say, "yip killed another with the mighty .17HMR. This rifle rocks on coyotes". When it would be very possible that the coyote lived another day, although wounded, how bad, you'd never no!! That's pathected, even if it is "just a coyote"!
We as hunters, owe it to every animal that we hunt, wether for sport or not, to make a clean kill and to verify it!
Old 09-13-2005, 09:03 AM

sayings that a true hunter should live by:

"One shot, one kill"

"If you're not sure ya can hit it, ya probably can't."

"A wounded animal will cost you twice the amount of time and money a dead one will." (If you were in one of the world wars the idea was that one wounded enemy soldier required two good soldiers to take care of him, so you shot to wound; fewer enemies to fight you. Has a coyote ever returned fire?)

"If you brought it into the woods, you take it back out; leave nothing but footprints."
"There will always be something to shoot at."

"If ya missed it the first time. . . .well. . . .ya missed. How often do you get a second shot at life?"

And finally, my personal motto: "All I need is ONE GOOD SHOT. . . . "

Old 09-13-2005, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

gopher: i do understand that the .172 will kill a coyote. . . if ya shoot it in the eye. .. but think about it
nope it dosent take an eye hit didnt you read that page i posted, most were took with perfect bordside shots with a couple neck shots. I do agree that its not a great yote round but it will get the job done if you use good judement.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:25 AM

well, i think i have made my point time over and guess i look at it this way:

i have guns that i'll probably never use to kill anything, BUT i have it incase someone decides to invade the U.S. or someone breaks into my house and i don't get to shoot them in the house. . . i'll get 'em with the 8mm Mauser when they reach a comfortable distance to "reach out and touch someone"

i'll use any excuse with the wife to buy a new gun. . . .

when i bow hunt is use pro quality arrows and a pro series bow so that IF i miss, i know it was me and not my equipment

no matter what i shoot. . . and no matter what i shoot at. . . .

I SHOOT TO KILL i feel that it is unjust to wound
an animal, i have wounded deer with archery. . . but the wound was enough to keep the animal close so that i could track and kill, but something like a coyote that if wounded can still cause damage to my livestock or my family. . . . that is unexceptable.

if you know you can kill that coyote with one shot from your 17 then do so...but as i said before. . . if you are unsure of your abilities with your gun,ammo, and personal skills, then don't shoot untill you can honestly make the commitment of one shot, one kill
Old 09-14-2005, 11:35 AM
Typical Buck

if you know you can kill that coyote with one shot from your 17 then do so...but as i said before. . . if you are unsure of your abilities with your gun,ammo, and personal skills, then don't shoot untill you can honestly make the commitment of one shot, one kill
I agree 100%