Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Texas Public Hunt - Youth/Adult

Old 09-24-2002, 06:42 PM

Default Texas Public Hunt - Youth/Adult

This Saturday, 9/28, squirrel season opens with a special Youth/Adult type hunt at most public hunting locations in TX.

I'm planning on taking my son and was wondering. Does anyone know if there are any special registrations required? Restrictions? Or other assorted issues that newby hunter like myself and my son should know??

I do have the public hunting license so at least THAT one is covered.

Thanx..

Clark

Houston, TX
Old 09-27-2002, 02:10 PM

Default RE: Texas Public Hunt - Youth/Adult

I would like to thank all the nice posters for all the wonderfull information they've provided. I even called the game warden and didn't get a response or a call back. If I have an infraction and get a ticket - he's gonna have to explain why he doesn't answer his phone or return his vmail.

I would also like to point out - that as a new hunter who has no previous experience - I may indeed make too much noise and scare off your deer while I'm squirelly hunting. I may do something that you find inconsiderate. I may even do something you consider wrong. And anything I do will be entirely out of ignorance and not malice because I cannot find a proper 'etiquite' [sp] anwhere or anyone willing to share basic 'howto' information.

Sooo... while all you 20+ year hunters are sitting around the fire drinking a beer complaining about all the yuppie hunters in the woods - remember that You too can prevent forest ignorance. :-)

I've asked several questions - have gotten no real responses... and have also read EVERY thread here trying to learn as much as possible.

Maybe there needs to be a beginner board where new hunters can learn from wise old hunters willing to share knowledge. And another board where the senile grumpy old men can compare notes about the stopping power and efficiencies of the .270 BTHP -vs- .308 SP. All the while - ignoring and complaining about the newby hunters who were not fortunate enough to have a Dad take them out hunting.

Geeesh... Ok.. I've rambled enough. I was hoping to get enough information so that when I take my son [who is also a new hunter] out this weekend - I wouldn't look like I had no clue. Since I can't get anyone willing to share very basic information - I guess I'll have to wing it and hope I don't piss anyone else off or get a ticket.

Houston, TX