Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Shotgun loads for Coyotes

Old 06-28-2005, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shotgun loads for Coyotes

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: Canadian Hunter312

lmfao...100 yards with shot eh? you guys ever stop and think that those are very unethical shots no matter what type of shot you are using from a shotgun?
[/blockquote]

you obviously never used hevi shots coyote load........
I have some 100yard test patterens .
If I can find them I will post a pic.
With my Briley extended Mod tube48 of the listed 50pellets hit in on a 40" square target.

Anywhere on the paper a yote would have had 5+ pellets.
My target board is 3/4 CDX , it looked like swiss cheese.

Johnch

Old 07-01-2005, 01:49 PM

Thanks guys, I'll go with the Hevi-shot. I've had it do an outstanding job on geese and turkeys so I can imagine it doing a fine job on yotes too.
I'll post a pic if I get lucky.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

So I've got to ask now that I see that Highdesertwolf says that the deadcoyote ammo. is very effective out to 100 yards, Just how many coyotes have you shot at and how many did you anchor at the shot and how many took extra shots and how many did you loose? What choke are you using out of which gun?
5 pellets any where in a coyote, that's not going to anchor very many coyotes on the spot at 100 yards!
Old 07-03-2005, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Howler

So I've got to ask now that I see that Highdesertwolf says that the deadcoyote ammo. is very effective out to 100 yards, Just how many coyotes have you shot at and how many did you anchor at the shot and how many took extra shots and how many did you loose? What choke are you using out of which gun?
5 pellets any where in a coyote, that's not going to anchor very many coyotes on the spot at 100 yards!
I use a steel extra full choke with a mossberg 835 topped with a red dot scope i use the 3.5 inch dead coyote load which has 54 pellets of T shot. I have shot 3 coyotes that far 2 were anchored on the spot the 3rd may have ran 20 yards before it expired. My first one had 7 pellet enter the boiler room which 3 pellets exited had 4 more pellet entries in the head and neck. My second had already been hit by my partners 22 K hornet in the guts he lost sight of it and where i was calling from it ran past me I put some lead on it a pulled the trigger it tumbled into a dead ball of fur had 4 pellet entries in its head along with a 22 K hornet to the guts. My 3rd ran maybe 20 yards I could tell my pattern was a bit low after the shot, it had 5 pellet entries in the boiler room and 3 in the guts. most of my shotgun coyote kills have been 30 to 40 yards and several in between there and 100 yards, I like to get them in closer so maybe I can get one with my pistol. when I coyote hunt with my hunting partner thats about how its goes hes the shooter with a rifle because he cant call for nothing, im the caller thats why I prefer a shotgun by the time I see one theres no time to really aim. I'm basically the clean up shot.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:29 PM

i know that the BB size shot being .177 caliber is good for about 50 yards. i think there is about 80 copper coated pellets in that load. i'll have to try the hevi-shot it sounds pretty good.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

So with only 3 coyotes killed with that load, you are able to draw a conclusion that it is very effective to 100 yards! I'd be willing to bet that add about another 17 shot at coyotes, out near 100 yards, and we will hear that it might not be the best medicine at those ranges! I'll be looking forward to this fall, to hear from your experience, after you get more "real world" testing done!!
It is very impressive, BUT I think we need more than 3 coyotes killed to draw a definate conclusion that it is "very effective" at 100 yards.!
Old 07-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Howler

So with only 3 coyotes killed with that load, you are able to draw a conclusion that it is very effective to 100 yards! I'd be willing to bet that add about another 17 shot at coyotes, out near 100 yards, and we will hear that it might not be the best medicine at those ranges! I'll be looking forward to this fall, to hear from your experience, after you get more "real world" testing done!!
It is very impressive, BUT I think we need more than 3 coyotes killed to draw a definate conclusion that it is "very effective" at 100 yards.!
howler,

you make a valid point there, perhaps I should reword what I said. The dead coyote loads have been very effective sofar. Just that I am highly impressed with these loads I would have never dreamed of a shotgun load that could kill a coyote at 100 yards untill hevi shot came out with these.Also I should mention coyotes in these parts are rather small, small enough my 17 HMR CCI 20 grain game points have been effective to 150 yards on these critters. I have yet to bag one over 35 lbs.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, the coyotes west of the Mississippi just arn't very big, my largest to date was a 43# male, and I got him in the high country. The largest one for me out here on the plains was a 40# male.
These new shotgun loads that are on the market are pretty impressive, especially when the hunter does his part and finds the right choke/load combo.
Keep us posted on your success with that stuff and if ya find any better choke/load combo's!!