Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

55 grain Hornady SXSP?

Old 06-16-2005, 02:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 55 grain Hornady SXSP?

anyone use these on coyotes? hows the performance?
Old 06-17-2005, 01:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 55 grain Hornady SXSP?

Im gonna give them a try, I bought 10 boxes of one hundred at super deal atleast compared to cabelas at $9.99 per 100, I got these at 5 dollars per 100. Ill keep in mind not to push them too fast, They will be shot from a gas operated rifle anyway so they will be loaded atleast a grain or two under max..
Old 06-17-2005, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd like to know how they do, too. I handloaded them into a 222 Remington for years... no yotes where I was back then. But they were real hard on other critters.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:07 PM

I use them in my 220swift, 3800fps with great results on coyotes. Only one hole going in no exit. I have never had one come apart in the barrel or in the air.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmm. Interesting, skhunter, what kind of barrel were you using?
Old 06-18-2005, 03:47 PM

I am using a heavy barreled Ruger rifle.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

well they disintergrated at around 3350 from my valmet somewhere between 50-100 yds. should be a tag in the box warning consumers that they will shed they're jacket above 3300 fps. I missed 6 turkey gobblers that spring trying to figure out what was going on
RR

I dont plan on pushing them that fast, I kinda figured them as a hornady version of speers TNT bullet. Anyway I have made up some loads im gonna try out tomorrow the load has 25 grains H4895 im gonna be shooting them out of a scoped mini-14. Im gonna shoot them through a chrono im mainly after acceptable accuracy if they group atleast 2 to 3 inches at 100 yards Ill be happy. also im not to worried about hitting the high end of velocity anything around 3000 fps will be fine. Im gonna be using them for yotes for 150 yard and under shots. Im not real sure if im gonna play with the COL at all, these loads are set at the maximum saami COL for the cartridge at 2.260" mini-14's have a deep chamber throat more then likely its not even worth trying to seat a bullet .010" to .020" from the lands to do that you would have hardly any case mouth tension on the bullet from lack of bullet actually in the case mouth also at a COL of 2.260" the rounds just have enough clearence for the magazine im gonna try my luck with saami COL specs and a good crimp with a lee factory crimp die. wish me luck, ill post later tomorrow with the results.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 55 grain Hornady SXSP? Range results!!

well i shot my loads today with decent results I did not experience any jacket seperation. the average Velocity I got was 3,051 fps with a 38 fps spread and my grouping at 100 yards was about what i was expecting, the group was just under 2 inches the first 5 shots then openned up to 3 inches as the barrel warmed up I fired 15 shots total and all are within a 3 inch circle not to bad for IMO a mini-14. Ill post a pic of the target later
Old 06-26-2005, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear they held up. I always thought they were a good bullet for the price. I emailed Hornady and asked about velocities with this bullet. If they respond, I will let people know.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:29 PM

back in the mid 70's they used to put a little tag in the box telling you to keep the velocities below 3400fps if I'm remembering correctly... at any rate I've never had one exit a groundhog on a body shot, and am thinking about testing some of the more recent made bullets on GH's to see if they're still the same... I may load them for fur this winter in the 22-250...

Quick Reply: 55 grain Hornady SXSP?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.