Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

How do you hunt bobcats?

Old 06-08-2005, 02:00 PM

Default How do you hunt bobcats?

I recently shot a mountain lion and now would like to get a bobcat. I have seen some small cat trax and cat poop last fall. I assume it is bobcat(way to small for cougar). When the season comes I would like to return to the area and hunt cats. Any advice on how to get them?? Here is the link to my cougar thread w/pictures.;
http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=1081098
Old 06-09-2005, 08:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How do you hunt bobcats?

I don't know where you hunt , but if you're in the northern tier those could also be Canadian lynx tracks that you're seeing .
Old 06-09-2005, 12:52 PM

I am in oregon. We have very few lynx here. They claim we have no lynx in oregon, but My dad has seen them calling in coyotes. I am pretty sure they were bobcat trax. Lynx are larger than bobcat.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:46 AM
Dominant Buck

We have bobcats here , but almost nobody hunts them because they're few and far between and a mount for one is ridiculously high .

Generally speaking , you can hunt them from a ground blind or tree stand and use pretty much the same techniques that you would for hunting other predators such as coyotes . Rabbit and bird distress calls will bring a curious cat in to investigate . If you haven't attracted one within an hour move at least 300-500 yards and try again . Patience is a virtue when hunting bobcats .
Old 06-10-2005, 10:55 AM

You are lucky to catch that Cat out during the day! To increase your odds on a Bobcat Hunt nightime, or try your calling Very early in the morning or late in the day Both Cats are mostly nocturnal. But the Ultimate way to hunt them is with hounds If you really want a nice one I know a guy in Idaho that gets em.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:35 PM

I use a woundedbird sound and the whirling woodpecker decoy here in arizona.
They can here the call and see the decoy from several hundred yards away.
With bobcats if they can put a visual to a sound there much less cautious.
Ive killed several with this combo.
Hope it helps
Old 06-11-2005, 10:45 AM

I hate bob cats. If I ever see one it will get a 110gr SP, 150gr gameking, 165gr Ballistic tip, or 180gr partition to the face.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

Just curious, what Caliber did you shoot the mountain lion with?

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:34 PM

Well, I shot it w/a 30-06. BUT, I was using varmint loads. They are basicly a 30-06 casing with a 22 caliber bullit w/a wad behind it. I forgot that I had those loaded in my gun and I am sure glad they killed it before it killed me! I think they worked because I shot it at such close range(like 12 yards or so).
Old 06-19-2005, 11:44 AM

I use the Foxpro 416 E-caller or the openreed Tweety by Verminator with either Woodpecker or Flicker Distress.
Thumper(L) & Tweety(R) open-reed calls by Verminator.
http://www.allpredatorcalls.com

Quick Reply: How do you hunt bobcats?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.