Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

How do you hunt bobcats?

Old 07-17-2005, 10:54 AM

Default RE: How do you hunt bobcats?

With a Gun of course!
Old 07-17-2005, 11:00 AM
Spike

I hunt for lynx here in saskatchewan, canada and i use regular predator calls (no e-caller yet) and some type of visual attractant such as feathers on a dangling string or something to steer their sharp, sharp vision away from my position as much as possible. These animals are extremely cautious (dunno about bobcats?) and they prefer stalking their prey so be patient and keep movement to an absolute minimum, try keep your decoy in semi-open terrain so you have a chance to see the animal. I like to use the terrain to try force the predator to come into a position that is optimal for a shot but it doesnt always work that way.

Good luck with your hunt!
Old 07-18-2005, 05:32 AM
Fork Horn

We use hounds. It takes a very good running bred hound to make a cat/lion dog and good ones are $5000 + but we've built our own pack up over the years. The best time to go is during the winter months for the pelt but my dad hunts them year round because he loves working with his dogs. Some of our pics are at:
http://www.hossfly.com/bobcat.html
I also enjoy calling them in.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:38 PM
Spike

I have had better luck in the afternoon, after he has laid up all day and is hungry. The distressed woodpecker is a good choice of call, however, my best cat was called in with a distressed kitten. Here in Missouri, they keep close to the brush. I have had them almost on top of me before they break cover. Sometimes, they will stay in cover and listen, looking for movement: then leave as they came, unnoticed. Since they hunt by sight, a decoy would help.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I see them quite often on the place and have called them in a couple of times . Living in Oregon you might want to check on the season thing I believe you need a special license . Don't quote me on that but thats what they told meotherwise a taxidermist wont touch it . I live in Oregon myself
Old 07-22-2005, 09:28 PM

where at in oregon?? and you do need a fur bearers licence to hunt or trap them i have seen them around scotts mills and near fall city. Never hunted them personely but my cusin use to trap them many years ago.