Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

What rifle for squirrl hunting

Old 05-25-2005, 01:36 PM

Default What rifle for squirrl hunting

I am looking for an accurate rifle t hunt squirrls with. I currently have a .22 auto in a belgium made Browning. I am not sure about the accracy of the gun.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:44 PM

Default RE: What rifle for squirrl hunting

Check the accuracy. If it shoots under 1 inch at 50 yards use that gun. If not buy another 22lr or 17hmr. You can get them real cheap at walmart or a sporting goods store. Ruger, Marlin, Savage all good makes.

Shoot. it doesnt even need to be under 1 inch at 50 yards if you dont need to shoot that far. If it is accurate enough for what you need it for then use it for that purpose.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:26 PM

ya those 17 hmr's are something else. It might be a little rough on a squirrel if you use the hornaday vmax but with cci tnt's it should be better, probably less damage, if you plan on eating them.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:25 AM

I would mostly shoot head shots on the squirrl. Does the .17 HMR explode and destroy the rest of the body?
Old 05-26-2005, 12:02 PM

I know several hunters who use their HMR's for squirrels all the time. They try for head shots as well, and though it does some major damage to the head, the rest of the body is intact. Even if you shoot them head on, I understand that the round will go through the head and destroy the part of the upper body, usually not damaging the front legs. Personally, though, I'd just stick with your .22 and get to know your rifle. While the 17gr V-Max rounds are dealy and considered point blank out to 125yds, the cost of ammo is so high as to not make it worth while, in my opinion.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Before I started to use my bow to get mutant rats, I'd use my Ruger .22. I would aim for the body and I used Hollow points.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:18 PM

All this fuss over those little squirrels? There's no need for gun powder. I just use my modified Gamo S1K. Does the job quietly, cleanly (no fouled meat), and humanely out to 50+ yards, plus ammo is less than a penny a shot...
Old 05-26-2005, 05:51 PM

Most accurate rifle ive founf is the Ruger 10/22
Old 05-29-2005, 02:06 AM

ORIGINAL: SifuSkyler

All this fuss over those little squirrels? There's no need for gun powder. I just use my modified Gamo S1K. Does the job quietly, cleanly (no fouled meat), and humanely out to 50+ yards, plus ammo is less than a penny a shot...
where did you get it and how much did it cost you....and what is the fps, what type of pellets etc.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:17 AM

ORIGINAL: UThunter

where did you get it and how much did it cost you....and what is the fps, what type of pellets etc.
I got the gun from Walmart for $125. I also got the scope, sling, and mounts there. I got the bipod on eBay. It came out to a little under $200 for everything. Anyways, the gun shoots at 1000 fps, and produces 17 foot pounds with Beeman Gold Hollow Points. I have found that those, Superdomes, and RWS Super "H" Points shoot the best out of my barrel, but every airgun has its own tastes. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: What rifle for squirrl hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.