Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Skinner peep on Marlin .30-30 >

Skinner peep on Marlin .30-30

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Skinner peep on Marlin .30-30

Old 02-03-2021, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Default Skinner peep on Marlin .30-30

Added a skinner peep on the marlin. Looks good, shoots good. Seems to be good quality and customer service was excellent.

Had to add a higher front site as well.

-Jake
Old 02-03-2021, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Will carry it on rainy days, during doe hunting when I've already filled a buck tag, etc

-Jake
Old 02-08-2021, 06:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Jake I think you'll be happy with it. After shooting a doe with my 94 in 30-30 this past season using a Williams peep it took the Vortex scope off my Marlin 1895SBL and put the ghost ring back on. For almost all hunting in the PA woods that's really all you need. I still need to sight it in once I get back up north.
BTW I see the wife let you take the ring out of your nose to put on your rifle!!!
Old 02-08-2021, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

I missed a dandy 8 point with this rifle. I was driving and saw three doe jump up and cross the woods in front of me. I stopped and watched the section to see if anymore were coming through. I saw the buck sneaking behind them at a slow trot.

Pulled the hammer back, found an opening, lined him up and click. Cycled the rifle and same thing. Then it occured to me, somehow the safety button had been pushed. I ordered a safety delete that night. LoL.

The buck ran out the side of the drive and my little cousin shot him, so wasn't a bad thing that he got away from me. But I got rid of that safety as soon as possible.

-Jake
Old 02-08-2021, 03:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hate those cross bolt safetys on the new lever guns. The only time I engage mine is when I am loading the rifle just in case my thumb slips off the hammer. Otherwise that red ring is showing. Its doubly bad for me being a lefty and I either have to use my right hand that is normally holding onto the forearm or reach across the receiver with my left index finger to push it off.
I just checked the site and they're pretty cheap at only $19. I think I'll get 2 blued and one stainless for my rifles when I get back north.
You may even want to try shooting it without the aperature installed. Just use it like a ghost ring. That's what my SBL has.

Last edited by bronko22000; 02-08-2021 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

I never used the safety. Don't know how it got turned on. But it cost me a buck that day.

The safety delete is cheap and easy to install. I went with the saddle ring. No real reason or use for it. Just did. But they have just plain bolts that you put through that look good on the receiver.

This one shoots great. I was busting clays at 100 yards which was as good as I could do with it scoped. Excited to carry it.

-Jake
Old 04-17-2021, 11:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Will carry it on rainy days, during doe hunting when I've already filled a buck tag, etc
-Jake
Hey bring it up the camp as a back up rifle. Ain't nothing wrong with the good old 30-30 for bear.
I think I'll be bringing up my Marlin 1895SBL with the same 'ghost ring' type sight. MAYBE
I'm very seriously considering going totally muzzleloader for everything this year. I have 3 that I've yet to shoot: a .45 Encore, a 50 Remington 700ML and a new Knight Disc Extreme 50. Either one of them will do anything I need them to do. But I also want to use my .58 renegades. I just may need to come to Ohio just to have more tags!

Old 04-17-2021, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

I'm considering carrying it during bear season. It'll hit anything I'm able to see there anyway. I've got a 7mm-08 that's new this year too though that I'll be using some as well.

And working on getting either a .35whelen or 9.3x62 together. I've got the rifle just need to make up my mind and send it out for the rebore.

-Jake
Old 04-17-2021, 04:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I'm considering carrying it during bear season. It'll hit anything I'm able to see there anyway. I've got a 7mm-08 that's new this year too though that I'll be using some as well.

And working on getting either a .35whelen or 9.3x62 together. I've got the rifle just need to make up my mind and send it out for the rebore.

-Jake
FYI the 35 Whelen is an awesome chambering. Those big 35 caliber bullets will drop anything in NA. And all you have to do is open up the mouth of 30-06 brass and fire form it. I had one years ago. It was a 98 Mauser that was my dads in 30-06 and the bore was so bad when you looked down it it looked like galvanized pipe! I had it rebarreled to 35 Whelen. That thing could shoot. Another "why did I ever sell that" rifle. Being a lefty had something to do with selling it I guess. I believe I traded it in on a Rem 700 in 270 Win.