Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

scope ring height

Old 08-26-2018, 10:13 AM
Spike

Default scope ring height

hey everyone, i just bought a browning bolt hells canyon speed in 300WSM and I'm going to put the leupold VX-5 HD 3-15x44 CDS ZL2 on it, i am going to buy the talley made bolt hells canyon 2 piece scope rings but i am not sure if i should get the low or medium height, any advice appreciated. thank you so much and happy hunting
Old 08-27-2018, 06:46 AM
Typical Buck

not familiar with the rifle you have but when i mount a scope i use the lowest rings that will handle the objective lens. the objective lens must clear the barrel. if you go to high rings it makes it harder to line up your eye with the crosshairs when aiming the rifle. with the 44 mm objective lens you will probably need medium or high.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

As Slim said, lower is usually recommended, but, it depends on your build. I have a long neck and torso so I find it's easier to shoulder my rifle and quickly gain a sight picture with high rings. High rings allow me to shoulder, shoot, and work the bolt more naturally without bending my head down or lifting head off stock. I've noticed no loss of accuracy or change in point of impact with the higher rings. Remington CDL SF in 30-06.

Last edited by Coastal Mountaineer; 08-27-2018 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:27 AM
Typical Buck

CM, you hit the nail right on the head. though there isnt much added height from medium to high rings it could make a difference to the build of the shooter. the rings i dont like are the see through ones. way too high. all my scopes are 3x9 or 4x12's. even on my 22 rifles.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:38 PM
Spike

I ,m with MR .Slim lower is better ,I have a x bolt and use DNZ low height ,sane on model 70 .One scope is 3.5x10x44 x bolt and model 70 3x9x42 ,
Old 10-26-2018, 01:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wow with a 44 mm objective a set of low rings is calling it pretty close. I'd likely go with a set of mediums.