Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Bipod

Old 11-24-2016, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bipod

Wasn't sure where to post this... Looking to buy another bipod for prone shooting. The one I have now is a 6-9" Harris bipod w/ swivel & adjustable legs w/ notches in them. I used a buddies last week & he had small screws that you could loosen/tighten to adjust the legs (no notices) but you could set to any height between 6-9". What kind do y'all prefer?
Old 11-25-2016, 02:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

harris swivel 9-13 with notches, but in my long range hunting I use an adjustable rear support, just a piece of closed cell foam with a cover sewn on, its tapered like a wedge of cheese, tapers 4" to 1.5" just slide it back and forth under the butt until the height is right, weighs maybe 2 oz.
RR
Old 11-25-2016, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

+ 1

Harris Bi-pod guy..............

However what RR said about a "rear rest", particularly for long range shooting helps a lot !!!
Old 11-25-2016, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shooting prone while hunting fixed position = Sinclair Heavy Varmint or Eagle front rest, Harris bipod, or Sinclair F-class ski-pod in the front, and a squeeze tube under the buttstock.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

So I should opt for the 9-13" instead of the 6-9" and the notches instead of the turnstyle screws?
Old 11-28-2016, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tend to prefer the screw style, but most likely, that's out of force of habit.

In theory, the notched legs should be faster to deploy and level, as a guy can pick his inch by inch leg position, then level the rifle on the swivel. In practice, I generally work my set up to find level enough ground that I don't have to worry about having the legs uneven. Not to mention - it makes my brain itch to think about the torsion induced by having such flexible legs at uneven intervals.

I use 9-13's most of the time when I use spring pods, or the 13-27" for sitting. 6-9" gets you a little closer down on the bench or down on the deck, but in grass, it's often too low (any prone is often too low, for that matter). I know I have a 6-9" somewhere, can't think the last time I used it though.

Since you have a 6-9" notched, do you ever find it too short? Do you like the knobs or notches better, after having tried both? I like nobs better for myself because I'm used to them, but I'm prone to recommend notches for speed.

And like I said, I rarely find use for short bipods. If I'm on a bench or going flat, I usually use a ski-pod or a machine rest.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448 View Post
I tend to prefer the screw style, but most likely, that's out of force of habit.

In theory, the notched legs should be faster to deploy and level, as a guy can pick his inch by inch leg position, then level the rifle on the swivel. In practice, I generally work my set up to find level enough ground that I don't have to worry about having the legs uneven. Not to mention - it makes my brain itch to think about the torsion induced by having such flexible legs at uneven intervals.

I use 9-13's most of the time when I use spring pods, or the 13-27" for sitting. 6-9" gets you a little closer down on the bench or down on the deck, but in grass, it's often too low (any prone is often too low, for that matter). I know I have a 6-9" somewhere, can't think the last time I used it though.

Since you have a 6-9" notched, do you ever find it too short? Do you like the knobs or notches better, after having tried both? I like nobs better for myself because I'm used to them, but I'm prone to recommend notches for speed.

And like I said, I rarely find use for short bipods. If I'm on a bench or going flat, I usually use a ski-pod or a machine rest.
Honestly I rarely use my bipod for hunting, mainly just target shooting/plinking. Here in VA most of our hunting is done in treestands & a bipod doesn't help there. You are right about the notches being quicker but I like how you can get the rifle damn near perfect if you're laying prone on the side of a hill w/ the screws. I'm by no means a long range shooter but these are my observations. Used his bipod in MT last week & it was a game saver, literally.