Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
New Nikon Distance Lock BDC >

New Nikon Distance Lock BDC

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

New Nikon Distance Lock BDC

Old 08-11-2016, 03:11 PM
Spike

Default New Nikon Distance Lock BDC

I was wondering if anyone had tested one out yet since they new to the market and if so their thoughts on the scopes.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

what do you want to do with it?
RR
Old 08-11-2016, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Haven't used one. I have used a BDC scope.. if it works like it says it does it should improve upon the BDC by being able to use the BDC at all zoom levels instead of just at the highest level. Technology is always improving I suppose. The BDC is an O.K. system if used properly. But it's limited in what you can do with it. If you truly want to stretch out and shoot it's not a good option. But it does have it's place.
-Jake
Old 08-12-2016, 06:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

The BDC like the one on my Burris scopes is excellent and it works great. But, and I'm not sure if this is how it should be set up, but here's what I did. After sighting it in at 100 yards I set a target out to 300 yards and did some tweaking. After that I found it was pretty much spot on out to 500 yards and only slightly off and 200 and in.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000
The BDC like the one on my Burris scopes is excellent and it works great. But, and I'm not sure if this is how it should be set up, but here's what I did. After sighting it in at 100 yards I set a target out to 300 yards and did some tweaking. After that I found it was pretty much spot on out to 500 yards and only slightly off and 200 and in.
Excellent advise !

I use Burris BDC scopes as well.

However, if you intend to shoot beyond 500 yards regularly, I recommend getting target turrets !
Old 08-15-2016, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Putting the graduated BDC in the first focal plane is an improvement, but I'm still not a believer in drop compensating reticles with asymmetric graduations. From one load to the next, the circles don't represent any regular ranges - no matter what Nikon might say, the 100yrd intervals don't work out, and the SpotOn software just isn't that handy. Knowing your 3rd circle is 287yrds and your 4th circle is at 372yrds doesn't really do me a lot of good, as it takes time to figure out WTF the split range is between that, AND of course, drop is non-linear, so half way between the dots is NOT the same as halfway between their ranges.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Putting the graduated BDC in the first focal plane is an improvement, but I'm still not a believer in drop compensating reticles with asymmetric graduations. From one load to the next, the circles don't represent any regular ranges - no matter what Nikon might say, the 100yrd intervals don't work out, and the SpotOn software just isn't that handy. Knowing your 3rd circle is 287yrds and your 4th circle is at 372yrds doesn't really do me a lot of good, as it takes time to figure out WTF the split range is between that, AND of course, drop is non-linear, so half way between the dots is NOT the same as halfway between their ranges.
That right there has been what I have always said about BDC rets all along (just not with all tha purdy words ) They are great as long as the ranges are identical to your sight in's. But when you get out past 250-300 yards and the animal is in between, you are basically screwed.