Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Scope for TC encore suggestions?? >

Scope for TC encore suggestions??

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Scope for TC encore suggestions??

Old 12-06-2015, 04:28 AM
Spike

Default Scope for TC encore suggestions??

I just got a new TC .308/.50 cal muzzel and am in the market for a new optic. My budget is $500 to $600 and will be hunting white tail, black bear, and turkey. I hunt in the mountains of VA and am mostly in dense hardwood forest but do venture into the fields from time to time. That being said I need excellent clarity in lower lighting conditions and would like to have an illuminated retical that is useful and not taticool.

Lastly I was trained on an m4 in the army and tend to "get up on" my optics when shooting but a 308 will black an eye if the eye relief is not sufficient.

If you are still reading this long winded post then please offer some feedback, it will be most helpful. Thanks
Old 12-06-2015, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL you will find you want more eye relief with that .50 ML barrel than you will with that .308. Scope eye and I are old "friends"

Anyway, The Nikon Prostaff line has several great options. They only have a couple with illuminated reticle, The m 223 line and the prostaff 5. Not a fan of the M223 with a really small objective they just aren't bright enough to satisfy me and the prostaff 5 is a good bit too much power than you need I think 3.5-14x50. The prostaff 7 2.5-10 power is a fantastic scope for both your barrel options. Is very bright and clear with the Nikoplex reticle. I think they have it in BDC reticle as well. I'm not a fan of that reticle myself but many are. Anyway, if it's too dark to see your crosshairs with that scope then it's after legal shooting hours anyway http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/n...Tabs-TechSpecs
Old 12-06-2015, 12:06 PM
Spike

Thank you. Now can I use a solid single base mount or should I go with a two ring mount?
Old 12-06-2015, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have single's on most of my barrels for my PH. There are a couple places that make Picatinny style bases for Encore barrels which are really nice if you are one of those folks that need that extra "forward or back" mounting options due to need for eye relief adjustments for a better cheek weld. Take a gander at optics planet. They should have everything you need to get set up if you already know what you want. But my recommendations with scopes and such are to go look through them yourself. Everyones eyes are different and only you can determine what scope fits your vision the best. All my firearms wears Nikon on them and the company has served me well over the years. My distance vision is still well above average but my close up vision is pretty bad which keeps me from iron sites and has for quite a few years now. Looked through a lot of scopes and Nikon, for me anyway, just has the best quality AND value combined on the market.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:29 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info. I've been using my brothers Nikon for a few seasons now and have no issues except for the reticle. The lines at the cross are a bit thin for my liking. But will review their inventory and see what they got.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

With your budget I would take a long look at the Leupold VX-R with a Firedot. Very good scope and it is backed by it's U.S. manufacturer's excellent warranty.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-...-3-9x40-110686

Last edited by Big Uncle; 12-07-2015 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:22 PM
Spike

Yeah it's on the list. I might save a bit more and get the trijicon Amber dot. On sale for a good price.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out the Zeiss Conquest line,I have 2 and I like them more then the Leupolds and the eye relief is excellent...
Old 12-11-2015, 03:42 AM
Spike

I like ATN products, maybe you should try this X-Sight HD 3-12X. It's somewhere from your price range.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:52 AM
Spike

That thing looks insane! I didn't know they made something like that for civilians. But I don't know. I mean I feel like I'd be cheating lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.