Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
red dots on a muzzleloader >

red dots on a muzzleloader

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

red dots on a muzzleloader

Old 11-06-2015, 04:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default red dots on a muzzleloader

i am thinking of putting a bushnell red dot scope on a tc impact . i want to use the bushnell with the 4 different reticles & can be in either red or green dot. has anybody ever used a red dot scope on a muzzy ?
needs your advice thanks
Old 11-06-2015, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most folks use a regular scope, but it should work fine. Just check the regs and make sure its legal where you hunt.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

After trying red dot sights on several different platforms, I've found a conventional scope, perhaps with illuminated reticle superior to the dot type sights. Not only are you depending on electronics and batteries, but also most (except the higher end models) don't offer enough precision, with the smallest dot I've seen being 4 MOA. The higher end dot sights do offer smaller dots, but you're now packing something that the batteries could run down at the most inopportune time, but now it's susceptible to water making it fail if accidentally dunked. I'd suggest you choose a conventional scope of decent quality offering low power or a lower powered variable with illuminated reticle. 2x-7x or 1.5x-6x would be ideal for 99% of all muzzleloading situations in MY opinion. Also a few states don't allow electronics during primitive weapons season.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

A red dot won't allow precision aiming to the degree of a telescopic sight, but they're leaps and bounds better than open sights.

As long as you have the mount available, it'll treat you just fine.

I prefer open type red dot sites, don't really like tube style. There's not much advantage to tubes over open style for precision, but they do occlude a lot more of your field of view, which isn't great. Burris FastFire III, Aimpoint, or EoTech, take your pick for a rifle.

I do have one of the Bushnell Trophy 1x28 tubers, a Bushnell TRS-25 short tubers, and a Bushnell AR 1x bell style tuber. They're reasonably good quality, clear lenses, hold zero, sharp reticle dots. But I'd rather have a Burris FFIII in general.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Short range work <100 yards, no problem with the red dot. I know the one you're talking about. I have a Millet like that but only with red. I see no reason that it wouldn't work on a muzzy. I used them on a hunting handgun with good success and currently use one on my shotgun for turkey.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah they are handy for short range, but the kind of deer hunting I do in Ky ranges all the way from dense brush to open gigantic bean fields and clearcuts for powerlines. Much over 100 yards the dot is bigger than the entire deer so not conductive to any kind of precise aiming. I do like them on handguns and used 1 faithfully on a Browning BPS 10 ga mag on turkey until I completely quit hunting turkey with a shotgun and started hunting them with bow only. It got to where it wasn't much of a challenge with a 10 ga mag. The ultimate _________ gun (insert game animal) simply removes much of the challenge I found.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:33 PM
Spike

Probably a little late chiming in here but I have used that exact combination on a muzzleloader. Simply put I hated it and went to a vx1, I put that red dot on a turkey gun and never looked back.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I also had a red dot on my ML for a while, but gave it to a friend and put a straight 4x Weaver on it that I forgot I had stored in the back of a closet. With that rifle and scope combination I can drive tacks at 50 yards and I sure wasn't that accurate with the red dot. I didn't mind the red dot, but like others stated, I decided not to take a chance on a battery going bonkers at the wrong time.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Tried several red dot scopes. All performed poorly in low light.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got one of those Bushnell red dots with 4 different sight options; small dot, big dot, crosshair, and holo sight. Only red color though no green. It sits in my closet because I either use peep sights or scopes on all my big game rifles. I am planning on using it for a Turkey and small game shotgun for quick shots.

I have no problem putting a red dot on a muzzleloader. I don't shoot much past 100 yards with them, I just already have a scope mounted on the BP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.