Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Vx-6

Old 07-02-2014, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Vx-6

Very soon I am going to buy a VX-6 2x12 for one of my rifles. The only holdup is deciding whether to get an illuminated dot at the center of the reticule. The cost of the scopes are about the same in price, with the illuminated reticule being slightly higher.

It is a 30mm tube and a fairly heavy scope, but it is going on a fairly heavy rifle that will mostly be used for African plains game and the odd buffalo.

Today I am leaning towards the illuminated scope, but yesterday I was leaning the opposite direction.

Anyone here have any field experience with the VX-6 that they would like to share?
Old 07-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Can always get illuminated and not use it I believe.

I see little reason to have an illuminated reticle, although watching a leopard hunt once I said man an illuminated reticle would be almost necessary here! also on a black cape buffalo black crosshairs may disappear...
Old 07-02-2014, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

All my rifle scopes have adjustable illuminated reticles.

Mine run on a battery - where illegal I take out the battery.

I end up with the same black cross hairs as any other scope.

All my scopes have BDC reticles also.

In fact, all my scopes are the same; so I don't even know that caliber I'm shooting because they all have the same sight picture.

I need to dumb it down, because I'm not that bright !?!?

Last edited by Sheridan; 07-09-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Although not the VX-6, I have a Leupy VX-R with the illuminated #4 reticle. It is very nice and quite beneficial on critters with dark fur.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

It looks like the subtension is the same whether it is either the illuminated or standard reticule. This must be a type of reflected illumination. If that is the case it just might make sense to get the illuminated model.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the VX6 3-18x50 with CDS and the illuminated dot. The dot turns off automatically when the rifle is in a static position, but when the rifle is moved the dot turns itself back on, thus saving battery life. The dot has brightness adjustments, which makes it exceptional in low light or on dark objects.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
I have the VX6 3-18x50 with CDS and the illuminated dot. The dot turns off automatically when the rifle is in a static position, but when the rifle is moved the dot turns itself back on, thus saving battery life. The dot has brightness adjustments, which makes it exceptional in low light or on dark objects.
Yep, my VXR works in that same manner.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:31 AM
Spike

Having 3 Nightforce NXS scopes I elected not to purchase my Mark6 with illumination. Because I have found that with good glass that has high light transmission and a high exit pupil in low light conditions I can see better using the scope than my naked eye ( I have 20/10 vision) making an illuminated reticle pointless. If it is so dark where I need to illuminate my reticle to see it I probably can no longer identify my target or what surrounds the target. This is not based on theory this is from practical experience from the countless training hours I have done in low light and night firing exercises I have done for my job.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I asked Leupold's customer service about the subtension on the Duplex reticule. This is their response:

"They are nearly identical.

The thin section in the illuminated model is:

2.4 on 2X and .366 on 12X

The thin section in the non illuminated model is:

2.2 in. on 2X and .4 in on 12X.
"

I am ordering the illuminated model.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had the scope sitting around for a while but have yet to mount it. The field of view is huge and the illuminated dot really draws your eye to it. It will be attached to a .375 H&H Winchester SE that already has Warne bases.

Now it is time to round up some rings. Probably Warne or Leupold rings, but I see that Barska or BSA see through rings are available for about $10 a set. Tough decision.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.