Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
who is using peep sights >

who is using peep sights

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

who is using peep sights

Old 03-06-2014, 02:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default who is using peep sights

Over the past year I have switched all my brush guns from low powers scopes to peep/ghost ring sights. I was wondering how many people use peep sights on their hunting rifles specifically for close to medium range offhand shooting.

My first change was an XS ghost ring and front post on a Marlin lever action rifle. I would call it a great within 100 yard setup. My second change was a Ruger bolt action, scout setup, with a threaded XS ghost ring to accept various peep apertures and a 1/16 brass bead front sight. This setup is very versatile.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a peep sight on my old Marlin 22 LR squirrel rifle. Getting tough though because my eyesight is easing off the rail !
Old 03-20-2014, 05:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've got peeps on 3 rifles, a Model 1903 Mannlicher-Schoenauer chambered in 6.5x54MS, a Winchester Model 1984 in 30-30 and a Marlin Model 1895M chambered in 450 Marlin. Peeps are very effective and many people overlook them when they need a short range tool. I've used them in the military and up to 200 yards or so they don't give much ground to a scope. Beyond 200 yards they start to loose effectiveness because the scope allows more precision in aiming at distance.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I have a Lyman # 2 peep sight on a Winchester model 94. Been using it since the 1970's .

Also have a T/C peep on my T/C Hawkins which makes it fun to shoot again.

Al
Old 03-23-2014, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

IMO if you're going no magnification and were talking under 100 yards plain old open sights give a much better sight picture.
I guess if you shoot with both eyes open that would remedy the problem but I only shoot with one eye and can't stand how much of the sight picture a peep takes away.
I've shouldered but not fired the military issue rifles at a recruiting booth for the army, it was cool though they had that whole training simulator screen with enemies flooding in and the recoil was produced by air compressors. I've fired a 308 scar with a peep.
I can see how it would help accuracy, but when it comes to target accusation I feel open sights are "faster" ,now that could be just my limited understanding or experience with them.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
I have a Lyman # 2 peep sight on a Winchester model 94. Been using it since the 1970's .

Also have a T/C peep on my T/C Hawkins which makes it fun to shoot again.

Al
haha a Hawkins with a peep would be fun for sure!
Your post reminded me peeps have been in existence for quite a long time.
Didn't the Brown Bess and Springfield both utilize peeps during the civil war? I'm not sure
Old 03-25-2014, 03:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by westMDbowhunter
IMO if you're going no magnification and were talking under 100 yards plain old open sights give a much better sight picture.
I guess if you shoot with both eyes open that would remedy the problem but I only shoot with one eye and can't stand how much of the sight picture a peep takes away.
I've shouldered but not fired the military issue rifles at a recruiting booth for the army, it was cool though they had that whole training simulator screen with enemies flooding in and the recoil was produced by air compressors. I've fired a 308 scar with a peep.
I can see how it would help accuracy, but when it comes to target accusation I feel open sights are "faster" ,now that could be just my limited understanding or experience with them.
Actually, the peep is not only faster but also more accurate. It has to do with the way the human eye works. In order to use open sights the eye has to try and focus on 3 things: rear sight, front sight and target. The problem is, the human eye isn't physically able to do so which is why one of the 3, normally the rear sight, is blurred out. This can and will lead to problems.

With the peep sight, the eye will automatically center the front post in the middle of the ring and if it adjusted correctly in regards to elevation and windage all you have to do is put the tip of the front post where you want the bullet to go. Your eye only has to focus on 2 things, the front post and the target, which it is capable of doing. There is a reason the military uses peep sights on their battle rifles, they work better than open sights. if they didn't, the rifles being issued would have open sights and they don't.

I've hit man sized target at 300 yards with my issued M-4 with a peep sight and I know for a fact I can't do that with open sights.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

Unhappy

Originally Posted by flags
Actually, the peep is not only faster but also more accurate. It has to do with the way the human eye works. In order to use open sights the eye has to try and focus on 3 things: rear sight, front sight and target. The problem is, the human eye isn't physically able to do so which is why one of the 3, normally the rear sight, is blurred out. This can and will lead to problems.

With the peep sight, the eye will automatically center the front post in the middle of the ring and if it adjusted correctly in regards to elevation and windage all you have to do is put the tip of the front post where you want the bullet to go. Your eye only has to focus on 2 things, the front post and the target, which it is capable of doing. There is a reason the military uses peep sights on their battle rifles, they work better than open sights. if they didn't, the rifles being issued would have open sights and they don't.

I've hit man sized target at 300 yards with my issued M-4 with a peep sight and I know for a fact I can't do that with open sights.
Very cool. The only peep I have is on my bow lol
Having not actually put more than three live rounds through a gun with a peep I was sure I was missing something about it. I have a 3030 I've been thinking of doing something to the sights, I may try out a peep on it. Are they pretty easy to install? Do I have to do something with the front sight too?
Old 03-25-2014, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

have used this rifle since I think '92, have taken 4 bear and a few deer with it, sadly its sold guy will pick it up in a week or so

RR
Old 03-25-2014, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

To be honest, my nearsightedness always made open sights a struggle.
When I began using a peep on my bow it occurred to me that I may have found a solution.
All but two of my sidelocks now wear a peep-good to 100 yds +/.
The ones without have longer barrels which seems to work out.
I find shooting with both eyes open much more natural with a peep.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.