Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Viper purchase

Old 10-30-2013, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default Viper purchase

After researching all I could, I bit the bullet and bought a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10 x 44 today. This should be a excellent low light scope as well as having adequate magnification for my application.

Thanks to all who responded to my earlier post.

Thanks also to Kody at SWFA who was patient with me and answered all my questions. It was he who suggested that particular scope, as I had thought I HAD to have a 50 mm for best light transmittal. It was helpful to me to have a real person to talk to and not just live chat.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

I'd be curious to hear what he told you on light transmission.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

He said that you didn't necessarily have to have the 50mm to transmit more light. He said something about the ratio of the magnification to the objective size ... ie a 2.5 magnification to a 44mm scope loses less light than a 6 magnification to a 50mm scope. At least that's what I came away from our conversation with.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bbbagman
He said that you didn't necessarily have to have the 50mm to transmit more light. He said something about the ratio of the magnification to the objective size ... ie a 2.5 magnification to a 44mm scope loses less light than a 6 magnification to a 50mm scope. At least that's what I came away from our conversation with.
Basically correct! But you give up magnification for clarity There is a good deal of difference between 2.5X and 6X!
Old 10-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for your reply Jags. I understand the trade off but low light shooting situations present more of a challenge bean field hunting this time of year. I had told him I almost never shoot over 300 yards. So I guess that was his reasoning as well.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bbbagman
Thanks for your reply Jags. I understand the trade off but low light shooting situations present more of a challenge bean field hunting this time of year. I had told him I almost never shoot over 300 yards. So I guess that was his reasoning as well.
I am assuming you are big game hunting and not little critter hunting?

Those guys buying the 6x18x50mm+ scopes are losing a lot of hunting time because a 6x scope cannot transmit as much light as a 2.5 power scope no matter how large the bell. I have actually compared a 1.75-6x32 to a 6x18x50mm Both Being Leupold VXIII of the same Vintage side by side and the 1.75 beat it hands down in low light conditions.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:10 AM
Fork Horn

I am white tailed deer hunting Edward. I do squirrel hunt from time to time but I deer hunt 90% of the time. This scope is going on a Savage Model 10 FCP in a .308 caliber... It is one made exclusively for Dicks. It has the Accustock in that computerized camo and a fluted bull barrel and the Accutrigger. My deer rifle right now is a Tikka T3 25-06 with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 scope on it. I am no expert or professional hunter or marksman. I just enjoy going out in the solitude of a deer stand .... If I shoot a deer that's just a bonus... I just liked the way that rifle looked in the store and had always wanted to try a .308....

Last edited by bbbagman; 10-31-2013 at 06:22 AM.