Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

3006 ragne

Old 10-29-2013, 03:34 PM
Spike

Default 3006 ragne

I am 2inches Hi at 95yds shooting 165 grain rem corlock bullet. I am wondering what my range is I was always told 2 inch hi at 100yrds dead on at 200yrd. If seen a deer about 250 300yds would I have chance Or bullet drop to much for that.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

First question is, have you shot that far before? If not, or not reliably, then I wouldn't put it much past 100 yards. With an experienced shooter, knowing the bullet drop for that load, in THEIR gun, 300 yards is not an issue. Reading a chart for what is theoretically the drop for that ammo in a test gun, and you not having experience shooting at those distances, its a no go.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by streetglideok
First question is, have you shot that far before? If not, or not reliably, then I wouldn't put it much past 100 yards. With an experienced shooter, knowing the bullet drop for that load, in THEIR gun, 300 yards is not an issue. Reading a chart for what is theoretically the drop for that ammo in a test gun, and you not having experience shooting at those distances, its a no go.
exactly, what size groups do you shoot at 95 yards? the 06 with great accuracy has the power to easily take a deer beyond 300 yards just using holdover and set up properly will do well at 600 and beyond, but you have to have a super accurate rifle, a pretty good grasp on how ballistics works, and the skill to pull off the shot. its not hard just takes time and dedication and a lil money spent.
RR
Old 10-29-2013, 04:53 PM
Spike

I hold a very nice group at 95yds 2 inch circle, I even took a apple of the tree put in on target stand I was able to hit that at 95yds no problem.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

2" circle= 2" group! Double that at 200 yds. and it gets worse from there! Stay within what you've practiced!
Old 10-30-2013, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

You really have to know your load and rifle to be on target at longer ranges. You can pair that rifle and scope with a BDC reticle and have a general idea of your drop at 300+ yards once sighted in, but until you actually spend some time at the range and can see exactly what kind of drop you're experiencing, you'll just be throwing lead and hoping for the best.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

You will be about
100 +2
200 0
250 -3.25
300 -8.5

These are approx. you would have to shoot these to confirm
Old 10-31-2013, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by stcspiderman
I hold a very nice group at 95yds 2 inch circle, I even took a apple of the tree put in on target stand I was able to hit that at 95yds no problem.
That kind of group is good... if you are sticking to 100 yard shots. Good groups for longer range shooting is bullet holes touching each other or better. 4" circle at 200 yards may mean wounding, gut shot, or missing a deer completely. Not to sound rough, but you aren't ready for longer shots. Now minus the shot I pulled, this is a group you want to see at 100yds. Btw, 375H&H, magnums can be tack drivers.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Echoing what others have already stated. The typical factory load for a 30.06 Spr. using a 165 gr. bullet will kill deer sized game far beyond 300 yards. If you expect to be encountering 200-250-300 yard shots, try to find a safe place to pratice at that distance. That way you'll get a good idea of your rifle's performance and personal skill level at that distance.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

Basically what everyone else has posted. YOU have to shoot YOUR RIFLE at the distances that you think you will be shooting at game animals.

First, set paper targets at known distances of 100, 200, and 300 yards. Then, from a solid rest on a solid bench, shoot at least 3 shots at each of those targets, SHOOTING THE BULLETS AND LOADS THAT YOU WILL BE HUNTING WITH. This will show you how well you can shoot at those ranges with your rifle UNDER PERFECT CONDITIONS.

Next tack up several 8 or 9" paper plates at the above ranges. Now shoot 3 shots from each field position (standing, sitting, prone) at each of the paper plates. Unless you are an accomplished shooter, don't waste your ammo on standing shots past 100 yds.

I would recommend that you don't shoot at a game animal at any range that you didn't shoot all 3 shots into the paper plate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.