Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Handgun scope

Old 09-05-2013, 01:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default Handgun scope

I want to put a scope on my Colt Anaconda. I've never shot a handgun with a scope other than a Red dot. My thoughts are:
1) I don't need a lot of magnification. 2x
2) the fixed power seem to be a lot smaller and lighter than variable power
3)Field of view (20-21' @ 100) and eye relief 16-24") seem to be about the same between mfgs. (on the 2x scope)

I want to stay under $250 if possible. I have a mount already.

Looking at Burris and Nikon. What do you guys think?
Old 09-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a 2x scope on my Contender with the .30-30 barrel. The higher power variable scopes are difficult for me to use with the FOV and eye relief issues. My .223 barrel has a 2 -7x for varmits, but to me it is of very limited value. The 2x should be a good choice on your Colt.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

2x leupold all the way, if its over your budget, its worth the difference
RR
Old 09-06-2013, 04:35 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
2x leupold all the way, if its over your budget, its worth the difference
RR
I was afraid someone was going to say that. Oh well, it's only money. They print more every day.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

My handgun scopes are all Leupold, but the 2x is about $100 over the stated budget.

In my limited experience handgun hunting and big handgun recoil are tough on scopes. The two scopes you mentioned have good warranties so even if they "give up the ghost" you are protected. Of the two I would probably pick the Nikon but you most likely can't go wrong with either.

How do you intend to carry the Colt after it is scoped?
Old 09-06-2013, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

Big Uncle, I'm probably going to go with the Leupold. I'd already looked at it in a store, and I kept trying to tell myself that the picture wasn't that much better than the Nikon or Burris. In the store, it probably wasn't, but I've found the difference between a $200 scope and a $400 scope is about 10 minutes at each end of the day in the woods.

Found the Loopy for $349 including shipping on Optics Planet. What do you think about buying scopes online? Save the sales tax.

I bought a shoulder belt rig from Pistol Packaging several years back. I'll have them make a new holster for the belt after I get the scope mounted and have the right measurements.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CZ2506
Found the Loopy for $349 including shipping on Optics Planet. What do you think about buying scopes online? Save the sales tax.

I bought a shoulder belt rig from Pistol Packaging several years back. I'll have them make a new holster for the belt after I get the scope mounted and have the right measurements.
I have purchased scopes, binoculars, etc. online (including OP) and never had any problem. You will have to deal directly with the manufacturer for any warranty issues, but no problems there. As long as you buy a real name brand scope and avoid some of the re-branded stuff that some of the outfits sell you should be a happy guy. I think you made a good choice.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

At one point and time I have owned them all on various pistols from 22 up to my 460 and 308 handguns. I now own almost exclusively Burris LER's on my pistols. The one big thing over another that I have encountered is the customer service makes a HUGE difference!!!! Just recently I sent off a Burris scope and a Nikon.
I sent them off within a month of each other. I had the Burris back almost before I sent off the Nikon and the Nikon took nearly 4 months and TONS of headaches!!!! I will never own a Nikon again due to this.