Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Scope type?

Old 08-01-2013, 02:09 PM
Spike

Default Scope type?

I've found the rifle I want. If all goes well in apprx. 2 wks. I'll have a TC Encore Bull Barreled 7MM. I'll have to scope it. So my ? is not about what brand of scope to get but type or class of scope to purchase. What I'm interested in is things like should it be a compact scope or a full length scope? Should it have a large or medium objective? I'm thinking a variable but what fixed scopes may be worth taking a look at? I know the scope that rested atop the rifle is being kept so I'm looking options. If any TC Encore shooters would like to chime in and show a pic of what sits on theirs I would love that. Hope I chose the right place to post. One more thing where I'm going to hunt 200 yards and in is going to be the shot of norm but I want to be prepared for other opportunities if it presents itself.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say go with a Leupold VX-2, in either 3-9x40, or 3-9x50 with the plex. You will never go wrong with any of Leupold's Scopes/Optics they have great customer service and warranty IF you ever need it, and I never did !!!
Old 08-05-2013, 03:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buy a quality scope within your budget. Probably a mid power variable like a 3x9 or 3.5x10, with an objective of approximately 40mm will serve you the best.

Compact scopes can be tricky to mount due to the reduced space for the rings, and your choices in fixed power scopes are limited. A large objective usually requires higher rings which some people (myself included) find awkward.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with Big Uncle. I have one scope set up high, with a peep through underneath so I can use the iron sites -- but in reality, I never use them. The higher scope doesn't bother me too much, but I've never set one up like that since. I've never had a problem seeing with a 40 mm objective and decent quality glass.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Spike

Thanks to all that replied. I can understand Leupold being recommended I do own 1 and I know they stand behind their product. I recently viewed with a few scopes that are on par with Leupold in glass quality(I don't know about service and warranty)at a more attractive price. I'm interested in a BDC reticle and also I see that the Weaver Classic V10 gets pretty good reviews The Leupy I have is not the scope to match the rifle I'm getting but I'll keep looking and reading. I'd really like to see some Encores with scopes set up on them.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

I don't know what others you're looking at, but Vortex has a great reputation in terms of warranty and standing behind their product.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Murdy
I don't know what others you're looking at, but Vortex has a great reputation in terms of warranty and standing behind their product.
True but they ARE a young company compared to others.

Good Luck!
Old 08-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Not pics of the Encore. Mine is a TC Triumph, with a Carl Zeiss scope on it. I am sure there may be better out there, but this has been a good one for me, and comes with a good price. Scope cost more than the gun. lol
Attached Thumbnails Scope type?-100_3588a.jpg   Scope type?-100_3583a.jpg   Scope type?-100_3582a.jpg  
Old 08-06-2013, 04:25 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Tundra10
True but they ARE a young company compared to others.

Good Luck!
Good point, and you never do know.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:22 AM
Spike

Murdy the Vortex Crossfire II is getting my consideration. I know Leupold has such a following because you don't have to be the original owner of the product to get great service but I feel some other companies will stand behind their product. Thanks for your pic deerdust I wish Zeiss was an option for me but it's not at this time. Great looking muzzleloding rig though one day I may be tempted to get one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.