Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Savage 110 Scope mounted crooked on rail >

Savage 110 Scope mounted crooked on rail

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Savage 110 Scope mounted crooked on rail

Old 08-13-2012, 05:31 PM
Spike

Default Savage 110 Scope mounted crooked on rail

I have a savage 110 and it's been put away for some time now.
After looking at it from the top, I noticed the scope is mounted
Slightly crooked, the front of the scope is slightly left of the barrel.
I took the scope off the rings, remounted the rings and still the same
Problem. I feel the problem is with the rings. They took a lot of effort to take off also, when I inspected them for crookedness they looked fine. Also the rails are straight too. What could the problem be?
Old 08-14-2012, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Perhaps the holes (that hold the rail screws) are drilled incorrectly out of alignment. It would not be the first time that's ever occurred. It's either that or the rings are off. Can you try some different rings? What ones are you using?
Old 08-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

My guess from your description is as mentioned above and that the threads were not tapped properly in a straight line down the axis of the bore. If that's the case, they need to be redone or new ones drilled and tapped by a gunsmith. You're not going to be able to do much on your own if that's the problem. I'd put it back together to take it out and see if you can sight it in as it is and hope the scope adjustments will take care of the error. If they do and you don't mind the scope being a little off center, you should be good to go. I'm not sure how much it costs now for a routine drill/tap job by a smith, but you may need to find out and have it done.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does this Savage 110 have a receiver thats drilled and tapped? Or is it a model with an integral rail as part of the receiver?

Pics?
Old 08-18-2012, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your gun DOES have the Integral Rail as part of the cast or forged receiver, then by all means try some new rings. It is not uncommon for this kind of set-up to get bent rings from a dropped or abused rifle.

The rail is very strong, and while it might not be perfect, it would be rare for the rail to be so far off that you couldn't get it on paper with decent rings. It might not be great for a benchrest rifle but the deer won't know the difference.

Try a new inexpensive set of rings and if that doesn't pan out just return the new rings and start over!
Old 08-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default 110 savage

pitboss, you dont say what bases and rings you are using. if you have weaver style bases and rings you might want to try redfield or leupold style. these rings and bases give you the ability to move the rear of the scope left or right to give you more windage and center the crosshairs . hope this helps with your problem.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the original poster DOES have the integral rail, then he doesn't have any bases, they are part of the receiver.

We'll have to wait until he returns to the thread to help him I guess.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

the savage 110 need bases and rings. its drilled and tapped. i used to sell gun and am familiar with the rifle. unless they changed it recently.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Savage 110 debuted in 1958-59 and so has been around a very long time and has seen quite a few variants along the way.
There were some years that Savage produced the 110 with the integral rail as a solid piece on the receiver. Those particular years were not drilled and tapped but rather had Weaver style bases cast, or milled as part of the receiver. It was in the mid 80's when Savage was in financial trouble and they probably did this as a cost saving measure.

I own one like I just described above - I purchased it in the mid '80s.

It still remains to be seen whether the original poster has removable bases or the type I have. He hasn't returned in quite some time.

Last edited by 8mm/06; 09-03-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Spike

Millet rings can be adjusted left/right on both rings independantly giving you alot of adjusting room. My father has a Remington 721 that was tapped out of centerline on the front of the action. GTG now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.