Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Scope choice

Old 07-19-2011, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

A great choice. I don't have one of those but everything I hear about them indicates they are pretty much the best thing for under $400.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

I answered on your other post about the Conquest,

But let me say, to the poster that commented about refurbd Nikons at Natchez. Those HAVE TO BE prostaff and buckmasters. I sold Monarchs over 20 years ago when the only scope they built was what later became the Monarch (still have one alive and kickin well on a 20something year old Ruger 7mag) and in those 20 (21 actually but whos countin) I can literally count on 1 hand the number of Monarchs that came back. The buckmasters that came back would probably require 2-3 hands and I could fill a notebook and calculator with the Prostaffs that came back in that time period. If someone (or alot of someones) had enough problems with Monarchs that there is a large stash of refurbs out there then those people were outright ABUSING the scopes, it wasn't a design flaw or lack of quality. (The American public can screw up anvils!!!)

I don't know why they build such a large difference in quality but they DO. Nikons Monarch line of ANYTHING is comparable to the best out there. Below that, and well you are on your own.

Just wanted to put that out there,
HL

Last edited by HatchieLuvr; 08-04-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any of the 3 should work. You can get a Conquest with a heavy reticule. I have an Elite 4200 and a Conquest. My opinion, both are very good scopes for the $$$. I prefer the Conquest because it is more compact. But for the $$$ it will be hard to beat the Elite 4200. (I think Elite is changing model numbers ????. Not sure what they have now that is the equivalent of the 4200).

I usually don't bash a product and this is not "bash", but I am not a fan of the Monarch based upon the two that I had. They were good scopes but, just did not perform as well in low light as I would have expected for the MSRP. One was a 50 mm and the other a 40 mm. Both were variables. Both of these were 2008 +/- vintage, so they may be better now than then.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Spike

Default I do not know what to say, Happy ending.

Originally Posted by Stan00
I will not ever buy another bushnell, I had a problem with my 4x12 not holding zero, Lifetime warranty! NO WAY, I called they said pack it up and send it in with $10, so after 2 weeks it comes back with a note thay says, its to old to fix but they kept my 10 bucks. I always figured lifetime was as long as I owned it.

Not Happy, Stan
I received a call 2 weeks ago from Bushnell, I was told someone sent them the Post above. The man said it was a mistake and they should have fixed it or replaced it.
Well today UPS delivered a Brand New Bushnell scope free of charge. Needless to say I was very suprised.
I would like to Thank the person who sent my post in and also
Bushnell for makeing good on their warranty.
I am Happy to see at least someone Has some pride in their Products.
I thank everyone again.

Stant
Old 08-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by fritz1
Personally I would go with the Leupold or the Bushnell Elite, I have several Leupolds and I also have a Busnell Elite 3200, 4200 and a 6500. All are very good scopes. I have a strong dislike for Nikon, I have had terrible luck with them in the past and would not recommend one to anybody. They do have great optics but in my past experinces they just dont hold up, look in a Natchez catalog, they have pages of refurbished Nikons, those are scopes that was returned for some reason or another and rebuilt. That in itself will speak for there durability, also there customer service sucks.
i'm kind of the exact opposite. there isn't a sum of money you could pay me to put any bushnell product on my rifle. I had an elite 4200 wich would never hold true for very long. i put a luepold vx1 in 4-12 on there and (i shot an antelope later that day with the new scope after just bore sighting with a laser) never looked back. and i'm determined to not use bushnell again, which is sad, because the company has EXCELLENT service. i also had a upper end set of bushnell 10x42 binos that had the ocular lens fall out while i was mule deer hunting. it just, fell out. didn't drop them, or anything.

i have a nikon buckmasters 4.5-14 on another rifle and like it better than the leupold.

it's all personal opinoin though. i don't like bushnell because i had a few bad experiences, but fritz doesn't like nikon for the same reason.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

I have both a VX3 and a Monarch.. The VX3 seems to track better, but the Nikon lets better light in..