Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Don't buy Redfield rings >

Don't buy Redfield rings

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Don't buy Redfield rings

Old 05-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Don't buy Redfield rings

They were made in China up until recently when they switched back to having them made in the US.

They also aren't under Leupold but are a seperate company in Onalaska, Wisconsin. Not part of Redfield scopes.

I had a set of Ruger 77 Redfield rings and was carefully snugging up the clamp screw and the head popped off. I'm a retired metallurgist and the fracture surface looked just like other fracture surfaces I've seen on fasteners made in China. Junk.

I imagine there's still alot of the Chinese inventory floating around.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

What the F is that all about?
Old 07-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
What the F is that all about?
Troll spam.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

i install several dozen scopes every year. There are a lot of cheap made in China bases and rings on them market. Some of the Weaver rings are made in China. All of the Simmons rings are made in China. Some of the Leupold rings are made in China and they are trash too.

The made in China rings are notorious for being out of alignment: Out of alignment rings can ruin your scope. i will not install them: It takes too much time with a honing bar to straighten them up.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are painting with a pretty broad brush with your title. Heck I have some older solid steel RedField mounts that I have had on rifles for 40 years.

Most mfrs. have cheap rings and good quality rings. RedField is no different. They have made cheap lines of rings and baes for many years. But they have also marketed some very good stuff. Be specific. Tom.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

6-48 screws just dont have much meat to begin with. if your a heavy handed like me i would invest in a wheeler fat wrench to give the proper torque. putting a drop of oil on the threads helps tension and torque the screw properly.i like to run screws through all the ring parts to check for problems and smooth out any burrs that may gum up the works. also maybe investing in a good replacement screw kit like the leupold screw set kit .ive had issues with cheap rings as well as pricey ones.