Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
I'm pretty sure I'm done with Leupold >

I'm pretty sure I'm done with Leupold

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

I'm pretty sure I'm done with Leupold

Old 12-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Read a recent article stating the VX-ll will get another upgrade in 2012 and become the VX-2.The article mentions 94% light transmission along w/other nice features without a price increase from current models.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Typical Buck

I have a Leupold scope on every rifle I own, that I want a scope on. I have only had one issue ever and it was my fault and they fixed it for free. My friend has a ziess concuest on his main deer gun and I have to say it does seem to gather light better. I don't hunt in the dark, so the small increase is not an issue.

However the conquest is heavier and larger and that counts for a lot to me. The Leupolds track well, and POI changes precisely when adjusting them.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

Leupold is China Junk. OK been fan for years, loved the new CDS scopes. Used them on several hunts. Well zeroed a new 3.5-10X50 CDS at home in KY prior to my elk/bear/mule deer hunt in CO. Long story short dialed in at 250yards to cover the meadow we were sitting, bull comes out at 120 yards, I hold for perfect shoulder shot and bullet goes high, above the spine, bull runs off, we track, spend next morning making sure he is ok and he was, chasing cows. Go to outfitters range, shoot 100 yards gun is 10.5" high at 100 yards.WTF???? re zero at 200 yards and get shot next morning at broadside bull, feeding at 400 yards. steady rest, dial in and shoot foot low......nw I am wtf again???????????? I had steady prone rest, solid rest, no wind shot broke clean and i called the shot wtf.........go back to range and gun is almost 4" high at 100 yards.. dial down 8 clicks.....shots don't move they hit same hole as first 3..........nice .300 group but not where should be.......tap on the turret a bit and move down 8 clicks and she one hole punches the target.........this is a MG arms rifle, tack driver....at home scope tracked great, hit target out to 600 yards no problem.....cleaned her, put her in pelican case and drove out here.........so wtf....$6000 elk hunt ruined by POS scope!!! Yeah Leupold will fix and all that crap but they wont pay me for a $6000 hunt.

Have second week mule deer tag, zeroed gun again and just leaving turret alone and using Kentucky windage and elevation, 300 short mag pretty flat out to 300 yards so should be ok,

BUT WILL NEVER EVER BUY ANOTHER LEUPOLD AGAIN, HELL i HAVE CHEAP BURRIS FULLFIELD II THAT HAVE NEVER LOST ZERO IN 10 YEARS!

......... Found out they are having their glass made in CHina.......hell what else is being made over there on the new leupolds!!!

Anyone want to buy a 6 month old, only hunted once Leupold VXIII 3.5-10 50 cheap pm
Old 01-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never heard of Leupold's glass is made in China
Old 01-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

Ridge Runner you need to check your facts, straight from the Leupold sales rep their glass is made in China, Not Japan, freaking China
Old 01-19-2012, 04:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

i have a bunch of Leupold rifle scopes. They have all been good scopes.

Two of my scopes are the FXII 4X33; they have given excellent service. Recently i bought another FXII 4X33 scope for my TC Black Diamond. Lapped the rings and did all the other stuff right.

At the range i noticed the ocular lens was almost at the end of its adjustment and there was an opaque area at 6 o'clock. To make a long story short that scope would not zero. It kept putting the bullets in a very nice 50 yard group regardless of any attempt to move the point of impact.

Brought the gun and scope home, checked everything. Tried to zero the rifle again. Again the gun kept putting putting the bullets into a small group regardless of any attempt to move the point of impact.

Sent the scope back to Cabela's and got a refund. Something has happened to Leupolds legendary quality. Recently talked to another man who sent his FXII scope back for the same reason.

Last edited by falcon; 01-19-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just read this and all I can say is we all make decisions.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:26 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
vx-i and vx-ii are pretty much junk...

Making statements like this does nothing but ruin your credibility.

I have a vx-ii on my favorite rifle and it is noticably better than most other scopes I've looked through. The eye relief is great and the picture is crystal clear. My only complaint is that the magnification knob is a bit stiff. Sure, you can spend twice as much money and get a little bit nicer scope. But to call the vx-ii "junk" is like calling a Corvette junk because it isn't a Ferrari. In short, your statement is preposterous.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Stonewall308
Making statements like this does nothing but ruin your credibility.

I have a vx-ii on my favorite rifle and it is noticably better than most other scopes I've looked through. The eye relief is great and the picture is crystal clear. My only complaint is that the magnification knob is a bit stiff. Sure, you can spend twice as much money and get a little bit nicer scope. But to call the vx-ii "junk" is like calling a Corvette junk because it isn't a Ferrari. In short, your statement is preposterous.
I tend to agree with you. I like Leupold scopes but feel you can buy more scope for the same money from other scope companies. I have an older Vari-X ii, 3-9x40 that I use on a bolt action 308 Winchester. Scope works great and does all I need it to. However, when I compare it to my Zeiss Conquest the difference is quite noticeable, especially at dawn and dusk.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

I have several Leupolds and no problems yet. Dalebow, are you positive it was the scope? rings loose, base, ammo?