Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Scope Choice Advice please >

Scope Choice Advice please

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Scope Choice Advice please

Old 03-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Spike

Default Scope Choice Advice please

Hello,

This is my first post here on hunting net.

I have just started to get back into shooting and I am looking for a decent scope to go coyote hunting here in the southern california desert. I have a Remington 700 chambered in .243 Win.

I have two dilemmas. First, I was considering a Redfield Revolution scope in either the 3-9X50 or the 4-12X40 with the accurange reticule. I wanted to know if it would be better to get the larger objective lens for better low light shooting or if it would be better to have the extra zoom power to take shots on coyotes around 500 yds. I want to spend around $200 +/- $50 and from what I have briefly read, the Redfield line seems to be pretty good but I wouldnt mind going another direction.

Second, I may not need a new scope at all. I have a Bushnell Banner 6-18X50 Dusk and Dawn but I didnt like the idea that it has a focus adjustment on the front. It is new in the box and will sell for around $100 on eBay.

Can someone steer me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,
Matt
Old 03-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

Let me steer you in the direction of selling the Banner. Read some of my old posts about the two I've owned and you will probably sell it as quickly as possible!

I don't have much experience with scopes so I will not recommend another line, but I will definitely UN-recommend the Banner

rw
Old 03-21-2011, 08:07 AM
Spike

Default Scope?

In your stated price range IMHO your best value is a Nikon ProStaff.Check out www.opticsplanet.net for a Prostaff 4X12.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!
Old 03-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

The Bushnell 4200 Elite series are being discontinued and you should be able to find one in your price range. Excellent scope value.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Typical Buck

I think Natchez had a sale going on for some of the top-notch Bushnells. Don't know if it's still on or not.

rw
Old 03-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the replies! I am going to shop around a bit with some of your recommendations and I will post my final decision whenever I get there. One thing is for sure now though, the Bushnell that I have now is headed for the auctionblock on eBay tomorrow

Thanks again, and I will keep an eye out for any more recommendations that show up.

- Matt
Old 03-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Redfield 4-12, not long ago. I have been really impressed with it. I dont think you would go wrong with it. I have Leupolds and a Bushnell Elite 4200, very good scopes but in my opinion after having the Redfield for a little while, it is just as clear and I would not hesitate buying another. JMO.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mwsenoj
I want to spend around $200 +/- $50 and from what I have briefly read, the Redfield line seems to be pretty good but I wouldnt mind going another direction.
Despite sounding like a broken record, I am going to keep recommending the Vortex Viper 2-7X32. It's been on closeout for a while (they are changing their lineup) but is available for about 50% of list, about $169.

This is a high quality scope with glass quality that is a significant step up from your Redfields and Prostaffs. It compares very favorably to a Nikon Monarch or Bushnell 4200.

For the price, nothing comes close. Yes, they are a smaller known brand than your Bushnells and Nikons, but they also have one of the best warranties and customer service in the business. SWFA has them here.

I got one before they went on sale and am tempted to pick up another before they are all gone.

Alternatively, the Bushnell 4200 Elite 3-9x42, also being discontinued, is a great scope and can still be found online for around $200.

Last edited by hubby11; 03-24-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hubby11
Despite sounding like a broken record, I am going to keep recommending the Vortex Viper 2-7X32. It's been on closeout for a while (they are changing their lineup) but is available for about 50% of list, about $169.

This is a high quality scope with glass quality that is a significant step up from your Redfields and Prostaffs. It compares very favorably to a Nikon Monarch or Bushnell 4200.

For the price, nothing comes close. Yes, they are a smaller know brand than your Bushnells and Nikons, but they also have one of the best warranties and customer service in the business. SWFA has them here.

I got one before they went on sale and am tempted to pick up another before they are all gone.

Alternatively, the Bushnell 4200 Elite 3-9x42, also being discontinued, is a great scope and can still be found online for around $200.
+1. Good advice rendered.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:32 PM
Spike

IMHO Vortex is the way to go. Top quality glass, manufacturing standards, and the best warranty in the business. Many guides and PHs I hunt with are making the switch to Vortex and I am kicking myself for going Leupold. I would also suggest 50mm objective due to the increased light transmission which not only means better low light image but also increased image clarity throughout the day, which is very important huunting small well camoflauged critters at range. I would also agree to pick optics with AO, but that all depends on your experience and ability in balistics and long range shooting. If you have a good handle on both then the boost AO gives you will be great if not it is just another shiny button to play with. Again IMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.