Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Lookin for a scope

Old 03-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Spike

Default Lookin for a scope

I have a Marlin 30-30 short barreled trapper type lever action. 16" barrel with micro rifling, I am looking for suggestions as to what optic would be the best to mount on it? Mainly because I have horrible eye sight so the iron sights don't work to good for me. Mainly going to be using it for hogs and javelina out here in the AZ desert. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by 640Sparky; 03-11-2011 at 08:41 AM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 03-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

I like the Vortex Diamondback 3x9x40 scopes very well. Great optics clear and crisp.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm looking for a scope for my Marlin 336 also. I have an old Redfield Tracker 3-9X 40mm on it and I'm looking a something shorter, lighter, and less magnification. Depending on how much you want to spend, there are several 1-4X or even 2-7X scopes out there from $63 (Bushnell Banner 1-4X) to several hundred dollars. The one that I have been looking at with the most interest is the Redfield 2-7X 32mm.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I may be accused of being a shill the amount of times I have recommended the Vortex Viper 2-7X32. It's been on closeout for a while (they are changing their lineup) but is available for about 50% of list, about $169, which is about $20 less than the Vortex Diamondback 3-9 (also a good scope) although the glass quality is definitely a step up. It's also a great size for the type of rifle you describe. I got one before they went on sale and am tempted to pick up another before they are all gone.

For the price, nothing comes close. Also one of the best warranties in the business.

SWFA has them here.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by hubby11
I may be accused of being a shill the amount of times I have recommended the Vortex Viper 2-7X32. It's been on closeout for a while (they are changing their lineup) but is available for about 50% of list, about $169, which is about $20 less than the Vortex Diamondback 3-9 (also a good scope) although the glass quality is definitely a step up. It's also a great size for the type of rifle you describe. I got one before they went on sale and am tempted to pick up another before they are all gone.

For the price, nothing comes close. Also one of the best warranties in the business.

SWFA has them here.
I will agree they are a step up from the Diamondback. That is a great price on that scope. I think that Vortex has some of the best optics for the buck there is out there. Warranty as stated, is the best in the business.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

If late (or nighttime hunting) check out the Trijicon Accupoints. Their low light performance is unmatched.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default "Mainly because I have horrible eye sight"

How bad is it? Your eye glasses aren't as thick as old coke bottle bottoms, are they?

Unfortunately, you'll have to work it out yourself, with the help of an eye doctor. I recall President Teddy Roosevelt made himself into a cowboy and army officer and his eyesight was poor. If I was young, I'd use him for encouragement.

I've had an old shoulder injury that forced me to shoot archery and rifle with my "unnatural" side. Got to a point I could later actually shoot either side, but stayed with my "unnatural" side out of sheer practice.

Somebody without the problem doesn't really understand the problem, most times.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Spike

I am legally blind without glasses, and they can only do so much for fine detail at range. I have never heard of Vortex before, but it is probably a good brand if they have a lifetime warrenty
Old 05-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not knowing what sort of distances you will be taking shots as a norm .... just guessing 100-150 yards or so. If that is the case, and you are wearing glasses, you will appreciate a longer eye relief model, regardless of what make you decide upon. Being that the rifle is a shorty ... like is my Marlin Guide in .444 Marlin ... I suggest as compact a scope as you can find. If you are not planning on hunting in really low light, you can do well with a less costly scope. If you will be doing any reasonable amount of very early a.m. and/or late afternoon hunting, scopes that perform really well in low light that are not a big as your arm won't be inexpensive. Probably would appreciate something like a 1.5-6x32 mm or something like that. Several makers of decent scopes make a compact in this sort. I would suggest planning to spend $350 or so if at all possible so that you can have a good, well made scope. Less expensive scopes are out there but usually will not perform well over the long run. As for specific make .... I'd do some research looking for long eye relief, then select the make/model. Buy the best glass that you can regardless. If that happens to be $100 scope, so be it. If you can foot the price of a top end scope , all the better. Look at the Zeiss Conquest or Bushnell Elite line. In my opinion both are very good values right now.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Fixed powered scope somewhere between 3X - 6X with a 36-44 MM objective.

Lifetime warranty is a must !

BTW - I don't like scoping lever action rifles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.