Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Redfield Illuminator from Japan? >

Redfield Illuminator from Japan?

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Redfield Illuminator from Japan?

Old 02-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Spike

Default Redfield Illuminator from Japan?

I have a Redfield Illuminator from the early 2000's that was made in Japan. I read that these were supposedly mid-upper end scopes. Mine is okay, but it didn't do well for me in a wet, cold day in Mississippi. Low light conditions killed me. I think the thing actually fogged up. Anyone have experience with these scopes? How can I test the scope to see if it actually fogged up?

I got some info from the site below.
http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh/brand.html
Old 02-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cullbuck
I have a Redfield Illuminator from the early 2000's that was made in Japan. I read that these were supposedly mid-upper end scopes. Mine is okay, but it didn't do well for me in a wet, cold day in Mississippi. Low light conditions killed me. I think the thing actually fogged up. Anyone have experience with these scopes? How can I test the scope to see if it actually fogged up?

I got some info from the site below.
http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh/brand.html
cullbuck, i do not have any experience with the Japanese Redfields but in my opinion if you are having problems with light transmission with this scope that would be my primary concern. The possibility of the scope fogging up would be my second concern.

If poor light transmission is killing your hunt, i would be saving my pennies for a replacement scope that has better low-light performance(and guaranteed no-fogging). Just one man's opinion. Good Luck.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one of them but it's from the original Redfield in Denver CO. Made in the USA. It's been a great scope. I wish I had bought a few of them when they were available. I have no experience with the Redfield's after Meade took them over and Leupold's new Redfield's. It does sound like your scope has some serious issues. There's a place in Miami FL that repairs Redfield's. It might be cheaper to invest in a new scope. ABO is very proud of their shipping charges.I had one repaired there and they did a great job. It was like 30.00 shipping plus insurance. That was some years back I'd hate to see what it is today.

http://abousainc.com/
Old 02-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Phone up Leupold.. They own the rights to Redfield now.What's it gonna hurt.They might just cover the waranty.One thing Leupold has got is great customer service.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 02-20-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Spike

If not, I'd also go one step further and after the scope has warmed back up, I'd place the scope in a sink filled with warm water and see if there is any seepage of the gasses from inside (bubbles) and then after letting it sit there for an hour, take it out and see if it's fogged inside then. If the scope's seals seem compromised after those checks, I don't know of any inexpensive way to repair it and that Redfield company is no longer in business for any compensation.
=============
Area Bebas Berkreasi dan Berbagi. B
event management
Old 03-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Spike

I got a deal on this scope several years ago. I may try the methods you guys have described to try and make it fog up or detect a leak. I have replaced the scope already. Just didn't know if anyone had any experience or knew much about the Japanese Redfields.