Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Need a low power scope for slug gun, i have no idea were to start. >

Need a low power scope for slug gun, i have no idea were to start.

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Need a low power scope for slug gun, i have no idea were to start.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just for the heck of it, try this before you spend $50 on a scope. ( I agree with others that you will have a hard time finding a scope in that price range that you will be satisfied with). See if you can find a large cardboard box such as a refrigerator or furniture packing box. Make a full size deer "broad side" cutout. Then practice this shot at 50-75 yards. I suspect that you will be pleasantly surprised at how well you are hitting.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
The guys in the muzzle loading forum really like a Simmons shotgun scope. I want to think it's like a Pro Diamond or something. Might be best to ask in there. That's probably what I'd go with if I had that budget. That or a Bushnell Banner. A buddy has one of those on his turkey shotgun, and it's held up great for years. I don't like it nor would I buy it and the glass isn't great, but it has held up.
This is correct. The Simmons 4x32 ProDiamond shotgun scope is a surprisingly good deal, often less than $50. I've used one on my muzzleloader for 2 plus years with some pretty stout loads, taking deer out to 75 yds (my farthest shot). It has held up great. The glass quality is good. I think the fact that it is a fixed scope (no moving parts) is part of what makes it hold up. As noted by others, IMO, 4x is all you need for your shotgun.

I know that Simmons has a less than stellar rep, but this scope seems to be an exception. As suggested by hometheaterman, ask on the ML forum. I don't think anyone has had a bad experience with them. Online, Natchez Shooters Supplies has the best deal.