Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Need help sighting in BSA Sweet 17 scope >

Need help sighting in BSA Sweet 17 scope

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Need help sighting in BSA Sweet 17 scope

Old 01-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
$100? better off stickin to iron sights.
I honestly wish it did have sights on the gun but I have to use a scope with this gun.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
BnB

I always look forward to reading your posts, so I was surprised to think that's what you ment.

"When I sighted it in I had the frond of the scope ( circled in RED) on 25 yards and the eyesight ( circled in BROWN ) on 9 zoomed all the way in. I was about 40 yards away and could hit a 2 X 2 inch square each time I shot. I thought it was sighted in."

So, objective set at 25 yards and shooting at 40 yards = off by +/- 2" ; could be part of the problem - right ??
I'm not sure what you are saying, but I think we must be saying the same thing. If you are shooting at 50 yards and have it sighted in at 50 yards, it should impact the same place at 50 yards no matter if the adjustable objective is set for 20 yards or 100 yards. All that controls is the parallax. So your image may be blurry if you are shooting at 50 yards and you have it set for 100, but it shouldn't change where the poi is. Now if you sight it in at 50 yards, then move to 25 yards and shoot, obviously the poi will be different since you are shooting different distances.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

BnB

I always look forward to reading your posts, so I was surprised to think that's what you ment.

"When I sighted it in I had the frond of the scope ( circled in RED) on 25 yards and the eyesight ( circled in BROWN ) on 9 zoomed all the way in. I was about 40 yards away and could hit a 2 X 2 inch square each time I shot. I thought it was sighted in."

So, objective set at 25 yards and shooting at 40 yards = off by +/- 2" ; could be part of the problem - right ??

well..i have been playing with my mil-dot system, and have only run about 50 shots er so practicing with this...but if i have my zoom all the way in(24x), i can get 414yards with my 3rd mil...but on 12X i get 619yards on my 3rd mil..zero is still zero.
my math aint so good, but that should put me at about 900-1000 yards, using the 3rd mil, at 6X. unfortunately i wont be able to try this out, as my groups at best are 6" at 620yards. maybe someday ill start loading my own to perfect this.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Parallax effects POI......................FYI

http://www.larrywillis.com/tip015.html
Old 01-18-2011, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

BnB

The intent of my original post was to respond to the questions asked. What I meant to say was that for intended POI changes, use the windage and elevation turrets. Parallax issues do indeed come into play can / will change POI. This is especially true when power ranges exceed 10-12 X on the top end. For scopes with front A.O. or side parallax adjustment knobs, the marked yardages are (oftentimes) not accurate...so don't take them as gospel.

I'm sorry (for any confusion) but my head was in a fog. I was heading to the airport for the dreaded trip north to bury my father. Not fun circumstances.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

BnB,

I don’t know your real name but none the less, please except my condolences for your father’s passing !

All my prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time.

Wishing you only the best for the future.

…………….and thank you again for all your thoughtful & informative posts.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you Sir.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

WLS-85: how far above the centerline of the barrel is the centerline of the scope? It will vary with ring height, but typical for a 40mm scope is 1-3/8" to 1-1/2". When you sighted in at 40yds, were you zero at 40yds? or did you set your POI a little high to allow for a longer shot? If you were zero at 40yds, and took a 10 yd head shot at the center of a squirrel's noggin, there is a good chance you would have shot right under him no matter what scope you were using.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

OP it is a very common mistake with all scopes that I see alot when we shoot prairie dogs. The "up close" shots get missed because the shooter doesn't realize that what he sees in the scope is 1.5 to 2" above the bore at close range. It is hard to mentally adjust and aim "high" to make those shots. Regardless of scope or quality, adjustments for parallax etc.

BnB my condolences as well. I have had to make that trip myself not all that long ago. My sympathies to you and your family. Take care my friend.

Last edited by skb2706; 01-19-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:28 AM
Spike

I have a Burris Timberline now. Problem solved.