Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Help needed with a Nikon Prostaff 3x9 >

Help needed with a Nikon Prostaff 3x9

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Help needed with a Nikon Prostaff 3x9

Old 10-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Spike

Default Help needed with a Nikon Prostaff 3x9

Hi everybody. Tomorrow morning I'm sighting in a Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40. I was looking over the instruction manual and noticed an extra step involving an adjustment on the outer scale ring. After making the basic adjustments (clicks right-left and up-down)for windage and elevataion, the outer scale ring is supposed to be moved to a point where an arrow lines up with a dot. Is anyone familiar with this step on Nikons? We have three of these scope/rifle combos. We've got two out of three shooting to POA, and tomorrow I want to tweek the third rifle in a little more, but I never made any adjustments to the out scale ring on the first two that we sighted in. Can I make adjustments to the outer scale ring on the two that are sighted in without taking them to the range, or did that have to be done after we got them shooting to POA. Here's a copy of the instructions:
http://www.nikonhunting.com/uploads/..._RS_Manual.pdf
If anyone is familiar with these Nikons your help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

Very simple, YES. The outer ring will mover very easily, just use a small screwdriver or nail or such, insert it into the slot on the outer ring and move the scale to where you want it. Very easy to do. Your going to slap yourself on the forhead when you realize how easy this is.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:22 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by goatbrother
Very simple, YES. The outer ring will mover very easily, just use a small screwdriver or nail or such, insert it into the slot on the outer ring and move the scale to where you want it. Very easy to do. Your going to slap yourself on the forhead when you realize how easy this is.
Okay thanks very much. I'll move the outer ring as you advised, but do I have to resight the guns that I've got sighted in to POA? I'm hoping that I can just make the outer ring adjustment on them now without anymore shooting adjustments. Thanks again!
Old 10-31-2010, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

No, you will not need to re-sight your rifles, the outer ring is just for reference and will not change your scope adjustment. By zeroing the outer ring it just gives you a reference point to make future adjustment with.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:34 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by goatbrother
No, you will not need to re-sight your rifles, the outer ring is just for reference and will not change your scope adjustment. By zeroing the outer ring it just gives you a reference point to make future adjustment with.
Goat; Thanks again, that's what we figured that the outer ring was just a reference. In any case we just got back and re sighting all 3 rifles. We sighted in at 50 yards. I know that's a little closer than most typical sighting in distances, but we will be hunting heavy timber in east coast states. I used an online Winchester calculator to give me exact info for the exact Winchester loads that I had, and surprisingly the ballistics from 0 to 300 (zeroed at 50 yards) seemed better for our purposes, compared to the ballistics from 0 to 300 (zeroed at 100 yards). With the first two guns we were able to punch through the same holes or be touching, or at least be real close, then later with the wind and our shoulders taking its toll we got the third rifle in but couldn't do much better than 3 shots a little under one inch groups, but we're confident that will be sufficient for our purposes. Probably won't be winning any match competitions but it should be fine for bringing down our game. Thanks again.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Spike

Beijing JiDigx scopes monopoly,www.bj-jdgx.com Welcome