Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Nikon Prostaff, Buckmaster or something else? >

Nikon Prostaff, Buckmaster or something else?

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Nikon Prostaff, Buckmaster or something else?

Old 08-05-2010, 03:58 PM
o_O
Spike

Default Nikon Prostaff, Buckmaster or something else?

Just picked up a Marlin XL7 30-06, and now I need a scope and rings for it before Colorado's deer and elk season. The Marlin does come with a base but no idea how quality it is. This is my first hunting rifle and I'm not experienced with hunting rifles (I'm ex pat Brit) so any advice will be appreciated. I do have a shotgun, .22 and a couple of 9mm handguns and have been shooting for a few years.

I'm hearing nothing but good things about Nikon and the price of the Prostaff is right. So...
  • Is there anything else comparable on quality and price?
  • Is 50mm worth the extra.
  • Will a noobie like me notice the difference between the Prostaff and Buckmaster?
  • Is the BDC reticule a marketing gimmick?

Here's some I've looked into and their prices.

$145 - NIKON Prostaff 3-9x40 Riflescope w/BDC Reticle, Matte Finish - 6320
$160 - Nikon Prostaff 4-12 x 40mm Riflescope w/BDC Reticle, Matte Finish - 6325
$200 - NIKON Prostaff 3-9x50 Riflescope w/BDC Reticle, Matte Finish - 6321
$210 - NIKON Buckmasters 3-9x40 Riflescope w/BDC Reticle, Matte Finish - 6421

I know it's always tempting to spend more but I'm soon to be debt free so will not be looking to dig a debt hole, so the budget is <$200 with a little wiggle room if it was really worth it. I still have to get a sling, case and ammo so if I can spend $150 on the scope and less than $50 on the rings/base I'd be a happy man.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

That BDC is a gimmick, I do like the Buckmaster Scope it's good quality for the money
Old 08-05-2010, 04:51 PM
o_O
Spike

I imagine the BDC is. I would think I can just learn how much to elevate the cross hairs of any reticule on my target for a given range.

So by saying the Buckmaster is good for the money, should I infer you think the Prostaff isn't? Would it make much difference to someone with little experience on a 30-06?

I suppose by that I'm asking you to put yourself in my shoes, even though I can't imagine any of you ever could have been. Most of you probably started hunting long before their 37th birthday!

So rather than what would you buy, what do you think I should buy?
Old 08-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

buckmaster and the prostaff are great scope, but if you want to save a few bucks then get the prostaff, it is still a great scope.

I believe there are plenty of better options for ballistic compensating reticles but I dont believe the BDC is a gimmick, its just not meant for the average hunter. The BDC only works if you really put in ALOT of range time and learn the reticle your particular loads trajectory.

Also if your checking out scope's, check out the Redfield, they're made by leupold.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:45 PM
o_O
Spike

The Redfield is something to look into, thanks for the heads up. It has mixed reviews on Cabelas and doesn't have as many on other sites. Price is right for the 3-9x40 and the Leopold warranty is hard to beat. How about mounting it on the XL7? I read in a Cabela's review the 3-9x50 didn't fit on a Remington 700.
http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/pod/0076067.shtml
Old 08-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

$160 - Nikon Prostaff 4-12 x 40mm Riflescope w/BDC Reticle, Matte Finish - 6325
Only because you're on a budget.

Otherwise (worth it);

http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-3...-packages.html

50 MM or bigger objectives are going to require high(er) rings.

You want the lowest mount possible, so that your check can "weld" to the shock as you look through the scope.

BDC reticles are for long range shooting - all of which takes a lot of practice to become familar with !

Last edited by Sheridan; 08-05-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Nikon line is a good value. 50 mm would not be my choice, nor would the BDC. If it fits the budget, you will be happy with the Buckmaster.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

another decent scope is this one:

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-3-9x40-Trop...pe-P45014.aspx
Old 08-06-2010, 05:27 AM
Fork Horn

I also picked up a new Marlin XL7 30.06 a few months ago. I went with the Nikon 3x9x40 Prostaff. I think it's a great combo, the best I've ever owned anyway. It shoots golf balls at 100 yards, which is plenty accurate enough for me. FWIW I like the 180 grain Remington core-loks in that rifle.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by LifexIsxHunting
buckmaster and the prostaff are great scope, but if you want to save a few bucks then get the prostaff, it is still a great scope.

I believe there are plenty of better options for ballistic compensating reticles but I dont believe the BDC is a gimmick, its just not meant for the average hunter. The BDC only works if you really put in ALOT of range time and learn the reticle your particular loads trajectory.

Also if your checking out scope's, check out the Redfield, they're made by leupold.
X 2 on most of this post!
I'd go with a standard Buckmaster. I'm leary of the Redfield!
If the Redfield is just a re-named Leupold Rifleman or
VX-1, you'd be better off with a Prostaff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.