Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

shotgun scopes

Old 08-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Spike

Default shotgun scopes

I realize that there are a lot of posts about shotgun scopes, but I couldn't find a great answer to my questions. This is going to be my first year hunting and of course I have to hunt with a shotgun in my area.

I was planning on getting a Remington 870 with the smooth-bore/fully-rifled combo so I could do deer as well as geese or whatever. The question is: are "rifled sights" sufficient for a rifled barrel? Ideally, I should just go to the range and see if I can get a tight distribution with rifled sights, but I'm trying to figure this out before I make the purchase.

870 express combo

I'm also confused about the cantilever versus receiver scopes ... it looks like most of the 870 models don't have the receiver drilled and tapped for scopes, so I assume most people put up with the rifled sights.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Spike

I would assume the irons are accurate or else I would hope remington wouldnt them on their products but I can not say for sure...

The reason you dont see them tapped out on most of the 870 models is because the top of the chamber where they are normally tapped is too thin. (not saying it cant be done)

I have the 870 Super mag for turkey and ended up going out and buying the model 870 Express Synthetic Deer. The other thing I like about the new one is the stock is a rifle style (raised stock), which makes shooting with a scope more comfortable.

I dont think you can go wrong with your choice. There are always advantages and disadvantages. You may also want to look into the Winchester model 1300 combo, which comes with both barrells and is already tapped. My father has this model and changed out the irons with a fiber optic replacement set, which maybe something you might want to look into if you decide not to go with a scope.

Last edited by Non_Typical; 08-05-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

As far as the rifled barrel get one with the cantilever mount, this way you can take the barrel off and scope will still hold zero and replace it with your smooth bore barrel to be used for small game, skeet, etc.

Don't get into the hype about scopes made just for shotguns, this is just BS from the scope companies. A standard rifle scope will work just fine.

next question, what is your price range for a scope? For me I have Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 on all my slug shotguns. I just placed an order for a new one for $253, this will go on my Savage 220F this fall

Also you can get a Mossberg 500 combo: rifle/cantilever barrel, and a smoothbore barrel with 2 or 3 extra chokes for under $300, The Mossberg 500 is damn good shotgun

Last edited by BOWHUNTERCOP; 08-05-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

How much do you want to spend on the gun? On the scope? Does made in USA matter or will you buy whatever matches your budget?

I have an 870 and I like it, but it is not my preference for a slug gun. I do not feel like the bolt stays firm enough on the chamber; it wiggles. I do, however, manage to get 1" or less groups at 50 yards using rifled slugs with the SMOOTH barrel with a Wad Wizard choke (only using the front bead). Kinda surprised me.

Anyway, if I had it ALL to do over again and needed a shotgun for deer, I would not buy the 870 but would buy something more "dedicated" to being a slug gun. I now have a Marlin 512 Slugmaster and it's the bee's knees. It's a bolt action slug gun and once I found the right ammo for it, I was able to shoot 1" groups at 100 yards with iron sights. I plan on scoping it this season with a Leupold Ultimate Slam, which I will use on my muzzleloader during the earlier season and switch over to my Slugmaster during regular firearms season.

Other shotguns to consider...the Ithica Deerslayer and the Savage 220 F. And there's nothing wrong with buying a used gun.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

here is a very good scope for the money:

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-3-9x40-Trop...pe-P45014.aspx
Old 08-06-2010, 07:13 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
How much do you want to spend on the gun? On the scope? Does made in USA matter or will you buy whatever matches your budget?
I don't really have a target price range. I'm more concerned with buying something that will last through the years .. you know, good quality from a manufacturer with a good reputation. I'm okay with up to $1500 for the gun and a couple hundred (?) for the scope, which looks well within the range of most shotgun combos.

I want to stay away from a deer-only shotgun though. My intention is to use it as a "regular" shotgun also. Hopefully in the future I'll get into bowhunting so the shotgun will be used less and less for deer. But in the meantime, for deer also.

Is there any noticeable difference between the use of a cantilever mounted scope versus a receiver mounted scope? I don't mind having to sight in the scope when necessary, which I guess would be any time I need to change barrels (if I had a receiver mounted one). However, I can't see myself changing barrels mid-season since our deer/geese/turkey (firearm) seasons don't overlap.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are willing to spend up to $1500 for the gun and having a shotgun to shoot fowl or clays is important to you, then I humbly suggest that you do it right and get two guns that do their own thing WELL. $1500 is a good amount of money to be willing to spend on a shotgun. The Remington 870 Express is definitely a good gun, especially if you're on a tighter budget. But the fit and finish is nowhere near an 870 Wingmaster or 870 Police. The "parkerized" finish...or whatever it is...on the Express RUSTS and the action is not as smooth.

So, if you really like the idea of a pump action shotgun for clays and fowl, do it right and get an 870 Wingmaster. Pick up a used 18" barrel and keep it on there for home defense and swap out the barrel when you go shooting. Or maybe you'd prefer a semi-auto for fowl and clays. You could look at the 1187s. Or a variety of other shotguns.

Get a Savage 220 F for the deer gun. A 20 ga slug has a lot less recoil than a 12 ga and it is PLENTY enough for deer. You can pick them up new for around $425. Or you can pick up a Marlin 512 for around $300 used in great shape. Or there's also the H&R Ultra Slug for $250 (new). If you really get into using a bow, you can sell any of these guns with minimal loss, but why would you? You may want to hunt into firearms season and find the pressure has increased a little too much to be able to use a bow effectively.

That's just my $0.02. IMO, if you don't have a choice and can really only afford to get a combo like the 870 or 500, then by all means. That's what I did at first, but I regretted it. It's better to have guns that perform well at their specialty than trying to have a jack of all trades (master of none).

As far as a cantilever mount goes, it's probably going to sit a little higher than a mount tapped directly into the receiver.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:54 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
If you are willing to spend up to $1500 for the gun and having a shotgun to shoot fowl or clays is important to you, then I humbly suggest that you do it right and get two guns that do their own thing WELL. $1500 is a good amount of money to be willing to spend on a shotgun. The Remington 870 Express is definitely a good gun, especially if you're on a tighter budget. But the fit and finish is nowhere near an 870 Wingmaster or 870 Police. The "parkerized" finish...or whatever it is...on the Express RUSTS and the action is not as smooth.
Okay, so maybe $1500 is a bit over the top. I think most of the autoloading shotguns can get up into that range. I was originally attracted to the 870 Express combo, but it only comes with rifle sights (no cantilever). However-I finally read that there was a big difference between the Wingmaster and the Express. And since there's no combo option for the Wingmaster, I'll have to buy the rifled barrel separately which means I can make sure I get the cantilevered one. So, it's settled.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool, the Wingmaster is an excellent choice. But still...LOL...I would buy two guns. Only because the rifled barrel w/ scope mount is going to cost you between $225 - $300 (crazy, isn't it??). The Express barrel is $225 and the standard is $300. So, it's like you could have a whole other gun for about the same amount of money.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te....form23&Go.x=0

The H&R slug gun really is an excellent gun...look up the reviews. For $250, I'd buy that over a spare barrel any day. Of course, I'd prefer the Marlin or the Savage, but your tacking on a little extra $$ there.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another note, you may want to research the Wingmaster a bit further. I was reading in this other forum (link below) that it is the opinion of a couple posters that the older Wingmasters are superior to the new ones in fit, finish and smoothness. I am not sure where the cutoff date is for this, so you'll have to do some digging. FWIW, I've had good success buying used guns locally and thru the internet (and having them shipped to my local FFL). You can ask for internal pics of the gun's action, and ask about rust, etc. 870s are hard to break, even if they've been neglected.

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=5667

Here ya go...I think 1963 is old enough, LOL!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=183021134

Last edited by 7.62NATO; 08-10-2010 at 06:59 AM.