Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

point of impact

Old 07-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Spike

Default point of impact

I have 2 sako 75 rifles one is in 25-06 the other is 7mm rem mag, both look almost identical. If I take the scope and mounts off one, and put on the other, with out making any adjustments, my point of impact is a foot to the right and low. I can understand the low part, but please explain the right.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

there are way to many factors that could change a rifles point of impact. the first and most obvious, no 2 rifles are built the same. your reciever may be tapped slightly different, the barrel/reciever threading will be slightly different, barrel harmonics will be very different (this factor can send bullets in any direction), your bases could be off. the list of things just goes on. thats why even with high end switch barrel rifles like the mauser 03 the scope is to be permanently attached to the barrel to lessen the effect of p.o.i. drift. your either going to have to get 2 scopes or re sight in every time.

if your not up for getting a new scope and you dont want to have to go to the range every time, get yourself a chamber laser boresight. basically you sight your rifle in at 100 yards then put the laser in the chamber and look through the scope at the target you just shot. you should also draw out on graph paper what the sight pitcure looks like at 100 yards with the laser. start adjusting the dials on the scope, counting the number of clicks and the direction, untill your reticle on directly over the laser. resight your scope after this. if you ever take the scope off your rifle, just put the laser in the chamber, point the laser at something 100 yards away and dial your scope till the reticle is over the laser. you then dial in the number of clicks it took to bring the reticle over the laser from the previous 100 yard sight in. your sight picture should look like what you drew out previously. your now sighted in for 100 yards again without taking a shot. do that with both your rifles. i wouldnt recommend a mirror type boresight since they can only get you on paper at 100 yards with a majority or rifles

Last edited by dylan_b; 07-27-2010 at 04:36 PM.